• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench time

Did any of you who were on the bench for several weeks/months and successfully secured a new contract get asked about your time on the bench by agents and/or at interview?

If so, what did you say?

For example, where you questioned about why you were on the bench for so long or are agents/hirers being 'sympathetic' due to the fact we are in a recession.

My concern, in the first instance, is if agents are using the bench time as an initial filter to reject CV's for roles or if hirers are doing so if the CV does eventually get submitted by the agent.

I basically said that:

I'd taken a couple of months off because I just wanted some time to relax at home after spending a year staying four nights a week in a hotel.

Then I'd devoted some time to researching a load of stuff that I never had time to get into fully whilst on contract, with an eye to Plan A.

Then, finally, that I wasn't yet ready to go full steam ahead with Plan A but needed more ready cash, so I wanted another contract, and that was why I was there (remember: contracts are always Plan B).

YMMV

Comment

i said i was out of contract.

Comment

Try this:

I've been out of the country building an orphanage in Cambodia for the last 18 months, has there been a recession?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

couple of roles i went for they were very interested, said i was studying, holidays and volunteer work (all true).

the role i actually secured never even questioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Did any of you who were on the bench for several weeks/months and successfully secured a new contract get asked about your time on the bench by agents and/or at interview?

If so, what did you say?

For example, where you questioned about why you were on the bench for so long or are agents/hirers being 'sympathetic' due to the fact we are in a recession.

My concern, in the first instance, is if agents are using the bench time as an initial filter to reject CV's for roles or if hirers are doing so if the CV does eventually get submitted by the agent.
            Had a phone interview today. They never raised the issue. Mind you, I have trimmed the benchtime down by 50% on my cv.

Nomadd
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Had a phone interview today. They never raised the issue. Mind you, I have trimmed the benchtime down by 50% on my cv.

Nomadd
              Good luck, and don't be too surprised or despondent if they ponce you around for a week or two before committing themselves.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

If so, what did you say?

Just be honest - there is / has been a recession on - roles are hard to come by.

Comment

Only ever had a problem with clearance for a bank.
                  Agency were looking for gaps in employment, treated bench time as such even though I was still a director of 'RSoles Ltd.'.
                  No such problems from MoD.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Then, finally, that I wasn't yet ready to go full steam ahead with Plan A but needed more ready cash, so I wanted another contract, and that was why I was there (remember: contracts are always Plan B).

YMMV
                    This
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X