• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with the help....I need your help PLEASE READ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with the help....I need your help PLEASE READ

esteemed boarders:

Firstly sorry for the long text......

I have a problems with the guy who did my bathroom and I need the lowdown from you lot.

Here is the SP:

Had a guy in to re-fit the bathroom, he gave a good quote in writing with a really thorough break-down of things included and it was the best price. He only quoted for labour as we stipulated that we would supply the materials.

He estimated that the work would take about 2.5 weeks for 2 people.

He started and even though we asked repeatedly for a "shopping list" he refused saying that it was not a problem and he would get the materials and just supply us with receipts which we could then pay (we have written proof of this). Fair enough we thought and on we went.

Well very long story short 2.5 weeks with 2 workers turned in to 9 weeks with initially 1 worker and then for the last 2 weeks 2 workers. 9 weeks FFS!!!!

Asked for an advance of 1/3 of money which we agreed to on about week 3. Asked for advance on the 2/3 balance on week 8 which we refused saying that no more money would be forthcoming until the job was done.

Last week on Friday (end of week 9) he came round to collect tools, drop off last set of receipts and receive payment. He had not finished all work items quoted for (painting ceiling, frosting glass etc) but I just wanted him out of the house and I decided to do the finishing touches myself.

Here is the bombshell(s)......

Firstly turns up with a heavy (LLO: I am 6'5" biker and not easily intimidated). Secondly says I promised to pay him in cash (complete lie) and then says what about my extras and PETROL.

The extras that he is talking about are work items in the original quote. And petrol for the toing and froing for the 7 weeks extra that he stated that he wasn't supposed to be on the job presumably???

I asked him to leave.

My mistake was that I didn't get the key to our front door off him before he left d'oh!

So we paid the outstanding monies for the labour into his account that day (we are honourable like that). However, we informed him that we were withholding the receipts monies until our key was posted to us recorded delivery. We also stated that if the key was not in our possession by Friday we would have the lock changed with the money.

Last night we received a very rude text from him saying that we owed him £550 extra, that we had lied and threatened him and that he would gain entry to our house to remove the bathroom!!

Obviously my wife is very distraught with the thought of some crazy breaking in to the house. Her best friend (who recommended this pyscho is also distraught) and I am unsure what to do.....

Option 1: Call the police and inform them that someone has threatened to break into our house. So take the legal route. Spend the outstanding monies on a new lock and move on, hoping that he is less of an unhinged weirdo than I suspect.

Option 2: Pay him (over my dead body)

Option 3: Well let's just say that is the last resort

What should I do.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

change the locks. even if he sends the key he might have a copy.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Change the locks and inform the police. Tell him you have informed the police.
      He is likely to damage your car or bike or garage or something else outside your house.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Change the locks anyway and do it today - I can completely uderstand how your missus feels. Deduct the cost from whatever you owe him.

You could try popping in to your local cop shop for a chat and take the mobile with the threatening text on it (and any emails/other proof).
        He probably won't follow up on any of his threats but it is worth telling the police just in case.

Inform HMRC that he is doing cash jobs.

Hope it all works out OK.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

and ask him to return the carriage clock that went missing from the bedroom

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

He started and even though we asked repeatedly for a "shopping list" he refused saying that it was not a problem and he would get the materials and just supply us with receipts which we could then pay (we have written proof of this). Fair enough we thought and on we went.
            Mistake #1.
            I'd have dis-engaged him there and then - if he's mucking you about like that from the start it's a sure bet he'll muck you about at the end.

That said, you're in a bit of a pickle now. As EO says, change the locks - even the back door as he might have copied that whilst you were out. Issue him with a legal looking letter stating you consider the matter closed and won't talk to him any more unless it's through his lawyer.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Do you live in a mansion?

I have refitted my own kitchen in 4 weeks around everything else, i.e. part time.

It should be quicker for a bathroom, but have never done it myself - done part jobs though - install bath/shower, etc. I reckon for a pro should take 2 blokes a week to a week and a half tops. 2 weeks tops for very high standard of finish.

Re-tile floor to ceiling - about 2-3 days, pipework/ install fittings - 2-3 days, finishing - posibly another day or two.

9 weeks is certainly taking the pee. However, if you let him sit on your bog for 9 weeks. I can't think of any helpful suggestions as to what to do next though, sorry. I personally would have pulled him up in the first week if it didn't look any progress had been made. You say he had a key, are you sure he was there and doing the work? Not somewehere else doing other jobs.

You don't say what his rate was though. Plumbers and builder I know are not that busy at the moment, some were sensible when they had it good, others have porsches, designer clothes (even the kids) and big houses to keep up (I kid you not). Plumbers I know are looking to clear over a grand a week (and mostly cash) where I live - not london. They are struggling at the moment and not making what they used to.

Comment

Inform trading standards also - probably not a lot of use but it costs nowt.

"Last night we received a very rude text from him saying that we owed him £550 extra, that we had lied and threatened him and that he would gain entry to our house to remove the bathroom!!"

I'd be down to plod with this one.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Change the locks anyway and do it today - I can completely uderstand how your missus feels. Deduct the cost from whatever you owe him.

You could try popping in to your local cop shop for a chat and take the mobile with the threatening text on it (and any emails/other proof).
                  He probably won't follow up on any of his threats but it is worth telling the police just in case.

Inform HMRC that he is doing cash jobs.
                  Definitely call the cops as you then open a case against him so any future vandalism they will go looking for him.

Also call your local newspaper and they WILL definitely do a nice spread about this company in your local paper, hence meaning he never gets any work in your area again and if he is locally based he will be a laughing stock.

Comment

I hear what everyone is saying and I will act on it, tonight when I get home from work.

The reason that I didn't bin him immeadeately was that we needed the bathroom ASAP. It just went on and on and we thought that if we got some other plumber in they would say that they wanted BiJillions to carry on with the job.

Lesson learnt.
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X