• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No honour amongst thieves (or contractors)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No honour amongst thieves (or contractors)

OK, started a 3 month gig beginning July, line manager verbally offers extension as they’re happy with my work,

last couple of weeks chappy (fellow contractor) who sits next to line manager starts avoiding eye contact, acting sheepish, being over polite etc etc.

find out Im now potentially being backfilled, got access to a colleagues shared calendar, found out she’s interviewing candidates for my role, only its not a permy as I expected its line managers chum whos offered to do my job for cheaper rate.

rules of the game or skullduggerous nepotism?

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
    OK, started a 3 month gig beginning July, line manager verbally offers extension as they’re happy with my work,

last couple of weeks chappy (fellow contractor) who sits next to line manager starts avoiding eye contact, acting sheepish, being over polite etc etc.

find out Im now potentially being backfilled, got access to a colleagues shared calendar, found out she’s interviewing candidates for my role, only its not a permy as I expected its line managers chum whos offered to do my job for cheaper rate.

rules of the game or skullduggerous nepotism?
    Move on. If that is the way they work then you would be better not being there.
    Before you leave make sure you tell the sly one you are relieved to be getting out as the job is simple, boring and has one of the worst rates you have ever accepted. Make sure you drop a few hints to the line manager or his boss that you are not sure of the sly ones ability and that as it is such a simple task the rate is astoundingly high, you were surprised that they offered you so much in the first place.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Skullduggerous nepotism. But not worth worrying about. Just move on.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The other contractor is your competitor. If he can what you do for less, then fair enough.

Comment

Don't forget to leave a logic bomb.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Undercut him!!!

Work out what the absolutely minimum you can work for is, and go to your line manager with it.

They'll either take your offer, or make him reduce his even further. Either one of these is a winner.

This IS business - we're all competitors.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

cheers folks,
              Im taking the "business is business" attitude, I think its the general MO of the team, they all seem to be snidey smiling assasins, will be glad to get out if Im honest, got 3 weeks left to think up a nice leaving present

Comment

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
                got 3 weeks left to think up a nice leaving present

You're going to sh1t in someones bin aren't you?
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  You're going to tulip in someones bin aren't you?
                  Sliding it down the back of a radiator works better
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It's probably nothing. You'll be there for ages, so walk tall like you own the place.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X