• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Derren Brown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derren Brown

That's Derren with an E.

Can't stand the little twet.

Is now going to predict the lottery live on national TV.

Here's my thoughts.

1) If you know how to predict the lottery, don't do it live on national telly. People may call foul.
    2) If you know how to predict the lottery, don't bust your hump making a tv programme about it, just do it and retire to the Seychelles.

Total and utter twet.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I rather like him, although I thought The Heist was silly.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Astigmatic twat.

That is all.

Comment

It is just me then. OK.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

He's they guy that wrote some rubbish story about a code in some wop artist work, or sumfink?
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            It is just me then. OK.
            No.

I too, think he's incredibly clever.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I think he is an incredibly clever complete twunt.....
              Still Invoicing

Comment

I''ve read some of his books (the ones the public get to see) and also got my hands on some of the others he was written (strictly for magicians, and only available through certain channels) and he is very throrough and complete in the themetics of magic, especially in the field of magic as a "performance", rather than just "look at this, aren't I clever ?".

Whilst he does pay his respects to those who have come before, he synthesises certain elements which he feels are more in keeping with a modern day audience, who expect ever greater things.

For example, he acknowledges that the Paul Daniels magic of the 70's and 80's had its place and an audience to boot, but he points out that tastes change, and magicians needs to adapt to the demands of modern audiences.

In a nutshell, magic is probably more than just the art, it's the performance and the creating of a persona to project and compliment the performance that is just as important, if not more so.

Break magic down, and it's just a series of well-rehearsed routines that create the illusion that something special just happened. That's boring and old hat. You either leave it there, or develop it for audiences which are ever more discerning.

It's a challenge, and it doesn't get any easier. In that sense, Magic IS an Artform, and Derren Brown is one of the few magicians who is kicking the rest of us up the whoopsie and telling us to improve our game or GTFO.

The Derren Brown you see on the TV is not his real persona, it's part of the act.

It's a shame the general public don't appreciate how much more he does for the art. But that's probably down to Derren Brown himself. He is keen to self-publicise his "persona", but says nary a word about the real work he does in various circles for magicians.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It always amuses me when imbeciles accept the hype surrounding his latest game as if it were real. Of course, he's very good at that: he gets the numpties like sy01 all hysterical over a tabloid interpretation of his claims. If you look closer, you find that the tabloid imbeciles have completely misinterpreted what he claimed he was going to do... which is exactly what he intended

I personally think DB is brilliant. I have happily paid to see him live, and his stage shows are as impressive as his TV shows, yet somehow even more so for happening "before your very eyes".

Can he predict the lottery results? No, of course not, and you're an absolute cretin if you think he can.

Has he claimed to be able to predict the lottery results? No, of course not, although you may be dumb enough to misinterpret a very carefully-phrased statement by him as saying so.

Will he make you think he's predicted the lottery results? Well, you were stupid enough to think he possibly can and has said he will... so he'll find it very easy to make you think he did, even though he will never claim to have done so

Even better - he'll tell you exactly how he fooled you and how easy it was; you will then reject this explanation because it hurts your ego

Comment

I've been to his live shows and it's fantastic entertainment.

Agree exactly with Nick above.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X