• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're not going back to the moon after all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're not going back to the moon after all

Link

I was getting a bit excited about the prospect of people going back to the moon and maybe later to Mars. I grew up during the time of the Apollo missions and remember how they captured everyone's imagination.
    I think I followed them all from beginning to end. Then there was Concorde and a bit later the Space Shuttle. Even that's being retired in the next year or two. I know there will always be those who say the money is better spent on something else but why can't we do something exciting for a change?

We're not but the Chinese and Indians probably are ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      It'll be OK for takeaways then!

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

They just need William Hill, Witherspoon's and Greggs to go along with them..

Comment

In terms of lunar travel - this will be in all likelihood taken on by private companies rather than Space Agencies - perhaps minging for rare minerals is one possiblity - space tourism being another.

We've already had six manned missions to the Moon - I think that is mission accomplished given that budgets are not infinite and other Space objectives remain unfulfilled.

Yet the decision to retain the ISS beyond 2015 is correct

It described as "unwise" the plan to shut down the space station in 2015 and crash it into the ocean, after 25 years of construction and only five years of fully operational life. .

As for Mars - we shall have a Man on Mars by 2020 - but this will be the result of the collective efforts of the International Space Agency - the budget scale and logistics means that thie requires an International arrangement - just as the ISS is an International effort.
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2009, 14:00.

Comment

I thought the idea of sending man back to the moon was to create a staging post for future trips to mars. They were going to set up some kind of lunar space station at one of the poles where they had discovered water IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              why can't we do something exciting for a change?
              AS we are spending it on the debt hole the feckless got us into.

HTH

Comment

We're not
                Wot's with the 'We're' bit. I know that the moon was claimed for Queen Victoria when the British went there in the 1800's, but the last bunch to go there were the septics.

but the Chinese and Indians probably are ...
                Which is the very reason why the money to do it will appear very soon.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

As for Mars - we shall have a Man on Mars by 2020 - but this will be the result of the collective efforts of the International Space Agency - the budget scale and logistics means that thie requires an International arrangement - just as the ISS is an International effort.
                  The beginning of Starfleet?
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    The beginning of Starfleet?
                    Send a message out across the sky,
                    alien raiders just past Gemini...........

Oh.. not THAT Star Fleet?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X