• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any one read any of Robert Sheckley's stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one read any of Robert Sheckley's stuff

I'm just rereading Dimension of Miracles. I wish I could write like that.

"He was somewhat above the average in height and self-deprecation"
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Hardly Nobel prize-winning material.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Robert Sheckley was very popular in USSR (and later Russia), one of the best SciFi writers - very undervalue in the West. Car in which he was driven in Russia was once stopped by a local policeman there but even he recognised (from name) him and let them off. In Ukraine when Sheckley's health was bad local oligarch even paid for an operation in good hospital.

Robert Sheckley is one of the best writers - on the same level as Asimov, I'd prefer Sheckley actually as his black sense of humour is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I'm just rereading Dimension of Miracles. I wish I could write like that.

"He was somewhat above the average in height and self-deprecation"
        Sounds a bit like Saki "She was a good cook, as cooks go, and as cooks go she went."
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X