• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why save in British banks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why save in British banks?

Bank set to hold interest rates

So with next to no interest being earned in British banks and "quantitative easing" still in progress, how much longer will people keep savings in British banks, or in Sterling?

How do I go about depositing money in a foreign bank or currency? What about say Canada?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Bank set to hold interest rates

So with next to no interest being earned in British banks and "quantitative easing" still in progress, how much longer will people keep savings in British banks, or in Sterling?

How do I go about depositing money in a foreign bank or currency? What about say Canada?
    Or Iceland?

Comment

Just wait until BoE starts charging banks for keeping their money in its accounts...

Off to work to my new office - not allowed to waste time chatting on internet forums there.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Just wait until BoE starts charging banks for keeping their money in its accounts...

Off to work to my new office - not allowed to waste time chatting on internet forums there.

Negative interest rates? So where's your cash stashed?

Comment

[URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8247709.stm"]How do I go about depositing money in a foreign bank or currency? What about say Canada?
          You open an account.

Australian banks look like a good bet at the moment IMO. The Australian central bank rate is one of the highest in the western world at the moment and rates look set to rise shortly.

The risk is whether you think the pound will depreciate any further or whether it will start to rise which would make your overseas money depreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
            You open an account.

Australian banks look like a good bet at the moment IMO. The Australian central bank rate is one of the highest in the western world at the moment and rates look set to rise shortly.

The risk is whether you think the pound will depreciate any further or whether it will start to rise which would make your overseas money depreciate.
            Is it that easy? And legal? I mentioned Canada because I saw that Canada was in surplus last year (lost the link I saw yesterday). I don't mind risking a small loss.

Comment

Where's dimprawn?

Comment

How do I open a euro bank account for company cash?

Comment

Is it that easy? And legal? I mentioned Canada because I saw that Canada was in surplus last year (lost the link I saw yesterday). I don't mind risking a small loss.
                  My Grandfather moved money to Australia when the UK looked like going tits up in the early 1970s.

His UK Bank Manager gave him a lecture about being 'unpatriotic' when he did it.

It will be down to the individual bank as to whether they will accept overseas customers, but it looks like they are keen to sign up people that are migrating there so it should be possible.

http://www.anz.com.au/personal/trave...paring-europe/

The only downside that I can see is that they won't let you withdraw any money until you have turned up at one of their branches to introduce yourself in person. The cost of the journey over there to do this may negate any savings that you could make.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    How do I open a euro bank account for company cash?
                    Erm, phone your bank and ask them???
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X