• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How good are your first aid skills?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good are your first aid skills?

Only one in 13 people feel confident they could carry out first aid on those ill and injured, a survey suggests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8246912.stm
    Cure the hiccups
    7.52%
    Dial 999
    12.03%
    Apply a tourniquet
    8.27%
    Do CPR
    11.28%
    Stem heavy bleeding
    9.77%
    Do the Heimlich manoeuvre
    8.27%
    Perform an emergency tracheotomy
    3.01%
    Assist in birth giving, and conception too
    3.76%
    Put the injured into the recovery position
    10.53%
    Help by not helping
    6.02%
    Take pictures or rubberneck from a safe distance
    3.76%
    Faint or panic
    2.26%
    Shout “that’s all wrong you are going to kill him”
    3.01%
    Offer comfort and the last rites
    6.02%
    Walk on by
    4.51%

If someone's injured you have to roll them over right? Or hit them as hard as you can in the chest until they get better?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If someone's injured you have to roll them over right? Or hit them as hard as you can in the chest until they get better?
      Yep, plus you have to stick your fingers down their throats.

Comment

My first aid skills are pretty damn good.

I have had to adminster first-aid six times now and there has not been a single complaint.

All the casualties died, but not one of them complained.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Yep, plus you have to stick your fingers down their throats.
          I thought you had to blow down their throats, is that before or after?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I thought you had to blow down their throats, is that before or after?
            That's after. You don't blow down their throats until you've stuck your fingers up their noses.

Comment

Andyw does first aid on my behalf.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I thought you had to blow down their throats,
                I saw that film..;-))
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Only had to use first aid once at an RTA. At first I drove past when I saw a crowd around a motorcyclist lying in the road. After I drove past I changed my mind and drove back. Nobody was doing anything other than watching her. She had difficulty breathing. I went and got a Stanley knife from the car and cut off her rucksack and shoes and tested that she could feel her feet. I then cut off her helmet off. Fortunately the ambulance arrived and I was happy to hear from them that I had done the right thing. There is a lot of rubbish said about not moving someone. Common sense should prevail.

In the car I have a DIN standard first aid kit (£5 from Lidel) . Fire extinguisher (used them three times on other people cars) Two reflective vests. These items are compulsory in many European Countries. In France it is the law that you must give aid after a road accident.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I have 6 siblings which gave me a good gounding & I am now a fully qualified 1st aider,
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X