• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oooohhh - sneaky agent might have me beat - doh !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooohhh - sneaky agent might have me beat - doh !!!

Now only being a relative newcomer to contracting (20 months), 1 contract, I was open to giving the pimps the benefit of the doubt.

However I've just discovered that the agency that has put me forward for a role (at £25.00 p/h) must be taking a HUUUUUGE cut !

I now know this because I managed to play dumb with another pimp (who phoned me about the role) until he released the rate - he said 'yeah, should be able to get you £40.00 p/h'.

Now this is quite a senior role in terms of clientco's requirements and the responsibilities that will be associated with it, in fact far more senior than £25.00 p/h.

Any suggestions ? err of course I haven't secured the role yet so it may all be a bit irrelevent. The pimp sending me for interview stated that £25.00 was the client's max rate, I said it seemed very low and left it at that.

Surely the 2 agencies can't have deals with clientco that differ by £15.00 p/h for the same role ???

Why don't you go with the £40 ph agency?
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Bear in mind the second agent could be lying about the rate and just trying to keep you away from the client.

It sounds like you already have an interview for the £25/hour agent so I'm not sure there is much you can do (if they really are taking such a big cut perhaps there is some room for negotiation with the agent if you get an offer). The thing is, you don't know what rate the agent has put you forward for despite what this other agent has told you.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'd like to go with the other agent but as you correctly say I already have an interview lined up with 'low' agent.

I'm just hoping I can negotiate if the interview is successful because £25.00 p/h will take me back down to £500 a month less than permiedom

Comment

I've interviewed for a job at 380 a day, got it, and then insisted on 425 as I'd got another offer at the same time. Got my way. Worth trying if they like you enough ... but I guess you need to be prepared for that to go wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
            Bear in mind the second agent could be lying about the rate and just trying to keep you away from the client.
            Indeed, if you have a friend or know someone similar with a CV (if they ask) see if you can get them to test it to verify it's true.. if the agent knows you're in with the rival he may be spoon feeding you sh*t to deter you and increase his own chances of placing the successful candidate!

Secondary you could always call up the agency you're with and tell them that you're pulling out as another agency is offering a significantly higher rate. At that point go with agency B?... (can anyone else comment on the negatives of this approach? It's certainly the way I would play it if it was myself).
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I'm sure it's the first agent pulling the fast one. I played dumb with the second agent until after he had revealed the rate, duration, requirments and client , so he had no idea I was already going for the contract.

Comment

Problem is, once you have been placed in front of the client by agency a, you're pretty much stuck with them and can't opt for agency b (assuming agency a have asked if it's ok for them to represent you. As I said earlier, you can still neg. the rate or walk away...

Comment

remember that the interview thing is a two way thing - go to interview then report back that due to travel and other (made up) associated costs that were unforseen you wouldnt be able to do it for less that £xx per hour if you get the gig.

If you were any good then the client will have fed back they want you which means the agency is stuck between telling you to get stuffed and losing his commission or at least negotiating the rate again with you.

...done it the once as the gig was at a tuliphole and didnt want to work there so raised rate accordingly that I would still have a smile on my face even if I got the gig

Comment

Working...
                  X