• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guilty until proven innocent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilty until proven innocent

Once again, ludicrous policy fostering a culture of suspicion and isolation. Parents to have to undergo CRB checks to drive their children's mates home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8249020.stm
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

indeed and the spurious justification is the Soham murders, where they let a known kiddie fiddler work with kids because no-one could be bothered to check his references and plod was too dense to understand data protection.

This country gets more like primary school every day - good kids always lose out due to actions of bad and bad 'uns left alone because it's too much like hard work.

Comment

You need the check if it's part of a club though... there's nothing in there to stop you giving your kid's mates a lift home like you normally would, because presumably you'd already pre-arranged it with their parents.
      In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Informal arrangements between parents will not be covered, but anyone taking part in activities involving "frequent" or "intensive" contact with children or vulnerable adults three times in a month, every month, or once overnight, must register.
        I drive two other kids to football every weekend, and we have had a number of kids over for sleepovers.

That article claims that as many as 11.3 million people may need to be CRB checked to comply. Each standard CRB check costs £26 or £36 for an enhanced one. Sounds like a nice little earner for HMG.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          I drive two other kids to football every weekend, and we have had a number of kids over for sleepovers.

That article claims that as many as 11.3 million people may need to be CRB checked to comply. Each standard CRB check costs £26 or £36 for an enhanced one. Sounds like a nice little earner for HMG.
          I missed that bit about informal arrangements and needing one if your kids have regular sleepovers...

I thought that was bad, until I got to the bottom... £64 for each check!!
          In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

The rapper Scroobius Pip (or maybe his mate Dan Le Sac) has some words on this...

"Thou shalt not think any male over the age of thirty that plays with a child that is not their own is a paedophile. Some people are just nice."
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
              I missed that bit about informal arrangements and needing one if your kids have regular sleepovers...

I thought that was bad, until I got to the bottom... £64 for each check!!
              if you carried on reading you would have noticed this:
              Registration will cost £64 in England and Wales, but unpaid volunteers will be exempt from the charge.
              Still, charged or not the scheme I don't know what the home office are thinking introducing this.

Even more adults are going to be falsely stigmatised because of an incorrect CRB check.

The people who should be caught by the system know exactly how to get a good CRB check - it is literally as simple as moving to a different part of the country and changing your name at the same time. Police will loose all track of you.

So we end up with adults who have their lives ruined by an incorrect CRB check and a general false sense of security that anyone who has passed a CRB check must be safe
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

dont forget all the extra cars on the roads as lots of parents will no longer offer lifts "just in case". School run mums, football team dads (why is there a gender association there?) etc may be worried and instead of finding out they will withdraw their services to be beyond doubt.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Mrs RH works for 3 different agencies - what the article doesn't state is how present CRB checking needs to be done annually, and for each different agency, club or organisation you work through. So we pay £108 a year for these checks to enable her to continue to work.

We've written to our incumbent useless MP Vince Cable about how ridiculous this stealth tax is - and even more so as a CRB check is only really valid on the day of issuance - this information we got from the member of CRB staff on the advice line. You could be issued with one, then commit a crime and still be certified as A-OK by the CRB for a further 12 months. The CRB isn't revoked.

Why they can't have a single DB which agencies/police can share, requiring only 1 CRB check for multiple agencies I don't know, surely government IT has the capability to... oh. Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    Mrs RH works for 3 different agencies - what the article doesn't state is how present CRB checking needs to be done annually, and for each different agency, club or organisation you work through. So we pay £108 a year for these checks to enable her to continue to work.

We've written to our incumbent useless MP Vince Cable about how ridiculous this stealth tax is - and even more so as a CRB check is only really valid on the day of issuance - this information we got from the member of CRB staff on the advice line. You could be issued with one, then commit a crime and still be certified as A-OK by the CRB for a further 12 months. The CRB isn't revoked.

Why they can't have a single DB which agencies/police can share, requiring only 1 CRB check for multiple agencies I don't know, surely government IT has the capability to... oh. Never mind.
                    1) If it's a job requirement, why is she paying it?
                    2) Vince has been ok in my dealings with him.
                    3) isn't a single agency what is being implemented here?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X