• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the end goal in Afghanstan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't we know? Shouldn't someone ask, FFS?

Coz I sure as hell can't see it?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

EO told me last time this subject was raised that they were "taking the fight to them"

More like chasing crap round your arsehole with a bit of newspaper.

Comment

Is this another bloody football thread?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

To bring back the Russians?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

the endgame in Afghanistan appears to be to extricate ourselves with minimal number of additional British casualties.

does that sound quite as sad to anyone else as it does to me?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Shouldn't we know? Shouldn't someone ask, FFS?

Coz I sure as hell can't see it?
            In their minds the Taliban are "defeated" and civilian rule established with a credible Afgan government supported by effective military and police organisations. Foreign troops withdraw amid fanfares and trumpets of victory.

In reality, it's all just a little bit of history repeating itself.
            Last edited by DaveB; 11 September 2009, 14:09.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              the endgame in Afghanistan appears to be to extricate ourselves with minimal number of additional British casualties.

does that sound quite as sad to anyone else as it does to me?
              Yes.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The aim has been stated as converting a place where terrorists were trained to a place where terrorists are not trained.

It's also (probably) being used as a honeypot to keep jihadiis in one place.

There is some doubt as to the efficacy of the UK approach to point one. There's a fair bit of doubt about the second one too IMO.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The end goal in Afghanistan is to capture Osama bin Laden. Unfortunately he escaped in the first act (Rumsfeld part 1, chapter 1: 'Shock and Awe').

Right now OBL is probably in a different Stan, or he's hiding in a deep cave (or he's working for the CIA if you believe some nutters). Meanwhile we're still in Afghanistan on a hiding to nothing, and the only thing that's likely to see us leave is the break up of NATO.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Whatever happened to the 'War on Drugs'?
                    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X