• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For keeps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For keeps

Been a smoker all my adult life. I quit when I was 27 when suityou3 was born. I've had resurgence in recent years, largely due to stress related outbreaks. It goes without saying this recent stress and being back in London has seen a flare up.

I asked suityou02 what she wanted for anniversary, and apart from a wadge of cash to buy clothes (she never buys clothes to be fair, we never do) she has asked for me to ONCE AND FOR ALL quit smoking.

I have always managed to quit. For months at a time. But it always flares up. Stressful day, followed by beers after work, yada yada.

The only solution I can see is to ban ALL pub activity. FOREVER.

Anyone in this quandry? Does hypnotism work?

(I did already try growing a pair - before someone comments)
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Struggling with this same dilemma currently.

Any advice appreciated.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Listen - I gave up. And I have NO will power.

It's been something like 2 years, and I'm off them for good.

It was really really really fcuking hard, but it is possible.

But you have to really want to do it for yourself - if your heart isn't 100% in it, dont bother.

If your heart IS 100% in, then each time you crave a ciggie just tell it out loud to f1ck off. Learn to hate it. Despize it. You are not it's b1tch!
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
        Listen - I gave up. And I have NO will power.

It's been something like 2 years, and I'm off them for good.

It was really really really fcuking hard, but it is possible.

But you have to really want to do it for yourself - if your heart isn't 100% in it, dont bother.

If your heart IS 100% in, then each time you crave a ciggie just tell it out loud to f1ck off. Learn to hate it. Despize it. You are not it's b1tch!
        yeah been there. two years is nothing.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Anyone in this quandry?
          Not now but I know what you're going through... I'm 6 years "clean" after near on 25 years of smoking 20 a day.
          Does hypnotism work?
          No, it's a load of old bollox....... well, at least it was for me. I was smoking less than 15 minutes of leaving the place and it cost me 90 quid I guess it just depends how gullible/open to suggestion you are.

I tried it all, patches, gum, plastic ciggy thing, hypno, cold-turkey and nothing worked. I asked my doctor for help who told me that all those things don't really work and that it was all in the mind because I hadn't made the decision to stop because I was "still buying cigarettes, still lighting them and still smoking them"..... which wasn't exactly the help I was after... anyway, a few months later I was having a smoke and just thought to myself "why am I still doing this?"....and I put it out and I haven't touched one since, so he was right.

It's certainly not easy, but I think if you're not putting 100% into it you'll fail... Stressful days can be got through without a smoke, I've been through a fair number myself.

As for banning pub activity, why? Must be a peice of p1ss these days with no smoking in them? When I was giving up I was having to do it in pubs with smokers... so if I can get through that I'm sure you can.

Good luck, hope you succeed

Comment

I asked suityou02 what she wanted for anniversary, and apart from a wadge of cash to buy clothes (she never buys clothes to be fair, we never do) she has asked for me to ONCE AND FOR ALL quit smoking.

I have always managed to quit. For months at a time. But it always flares up. Stressful day, followed by beers after work, yada yada.

The only solution I can see is to ban ALL pub activity. FOREVER.

Anyone in this quandry? Does hypnotism work?

(I did already try growing a pair - before someone comments)
            I tried hypnotism. Someone for whom it had worked recommended it. I came out gagging for a ciggie and lasted 40 minutes.

Pride made me give up. My wife reminded me of those slags I used to hate in Shepherds Bush who were pregnant, kids in tow, pushing a pushchair and with a fag on the go: "Gizza quid, you feckin cahnt". When I was out of work and getting £48 a fortnight but wanting to spend £50 a week on fags, she said I was no better than them.

If you don't want to give up, you won't be able to. If you do want to, you will.

BTW, I had to stay out of pubs for well over a year after I stopped. I have never been back to pubs, really, except for meals.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My advice would be to not get too hung up on it, I stopped a couple of months ago but had a few of my mates fags the other night but the difference this time is I didn't see it as a complete fail so I didn't buy any the next day.

I have a 2 year old so I'm looking long term for her and I don't see the odd ciggie as a major problem, before I'd use a lapse as an excuse to start smoking again... not this time.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

More cheery reading for smokers...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6832384.ece

I don't know why the government don't just ban the sale of cigarettes altogether (aside from the obvious tax rake).
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Mr P gave up for 5 years!
                  He's back on 'em now and I wish he would stop. Its not something you can do for someone else I think, you have to want to do it yourself - like any addiction.

I know several people who've given up for quite a number of years, only to start again

I used to smoke, but I can take it or leave it and oddly enough I smoke when I'm away on holiday then stop again when I get back to the UK. Mr P finds this very annoying.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    More cheery reading for smokers...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6832384.ece

I don't know why the government don't just ban the sale of cigarettes altogether (aside from the obvious tax rake).
                    More Labour propaganda more like. As one comment pointed out:

The Scottish "study" you mention was soon trashed by medics and statisticians as being an impossible result. Neither had it been properly reviewed before being announced - by press release, of course.

No study conducted by the anti-smoking lobby or by the government trying to justify its draconian ban on smoking in pubs has proved anything other than, at best, a continuation of trends. This one is also at variance with recent figures on hospital admission rates, which show no unexpected fall.

Meanwhile, pubs are closing at the rate of 50 a week. Pure ZanuLab.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X