• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting Contracting... Now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Contracting... Now?

So, I'm pretty tired of my current workplace (a very large bureaucratic Internet company which shall remain nameless). I like the idea of being able to move from place to place and interact with a vast range of people/clients. I think I'm more than capable of doing the job (largely Frontend Web Development) for anyone to an extremely high standard in a contract setting.

My only question is how is the job market for (IT) contractors these days. I do not have a lot of savings at the moment and that is part of the idea behind changing my current situation.

I've read many of the guides on this site already and I'm thinking contracting could be an amazing lifestyle, I just want to make sure that I don't end up in a bad situation - I guess that is the risk I have to suffer for the rewards but I don't wish to go into doing this blindly!

Any advice about making the switch (particularly with relation to the current economy) is most welcome!

Thanks,

A.

Originally posted by apipo View Post
    So, I'm pretty tired of my current workplace (a very large bureaucratic Internet company which shall remain nameless). I like the idea of being able to move from place to place and interact with a vast range of people/clients. I think I'm more than capable of doing the job (largely Frontend Web Development) for anyone to an extremely high standard in a contract setting.

My only question is how is the job market for (IT) contractors these days. I do not have a lot of savings at the moment and that is part of the idea behind changing my current situation.

I've read many of the guides on this site already and I'm thinking contracting could be an amazing lifestyle, I just want to make sure that I don't end up in a bad situation - I guess that is the risk I have to suffer for the rewards but I don't wish to go into doing this blindly!

Any advice about making the switch (particularly with relation to the current economy) is most welcome!

Thanks,

A.
    You make contracting sound glamorous, if only!

I know little about the web dev market, but Jobstats suggests it isn't looking too great.

Here are some things to bear in mind:
    • Unless you have enough holiday saved up to leave your job with no notice period, you'll have to quit before you start looking for contracts (chances of finding a gig while not being unavailable to work for a month while you work out your notice are very slim unless you're in a seriously niche market)
    • You don't have much in the way of savings to live on. In the current climate this should worry you.
    • There are lots of benched contractors out there. Many would argue that agents will mostly go for a seasoned contractor over a first-timer because of concerns about you fleeing back to the safety of permie-dom.
    • Did I mention the market's crap?

If I were in your position, I'd stay permie until the market's picked up. In the meantime look for as many new strings you can add to your bow as you can. Will your current employer pay for certifications etc?

Enough of my wittering, I'm going back to my wine. Whatever you decide, good luck!
    Last edited by DiscoStu; 13 September 2009, 17:56. Reason: Liveware ineptitude at using keyboard.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You must be completely nuts to be thinking of doing this at this time.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Welcome

As others have said, now may not be the best time to get into contracting. Sure we have the swimming pools, fast cars, recreational drugs, loose wo/men etc. but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I suggest you hang around on this board for a while and read about the experiences of others. You might just get a welcome to CUK party!
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I think you should do it - after all you'll never know unless you try. The money's great, you're always learning new skills and you don't have to put up with all that permie tulip. There are always openings for hard-working skilled workers in the IT contracting game! Are you a man or a mouse? Go for it!

PS Some or all of what I've written may be garbage, and may not be used in evidence
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

You have the right motivation and possibly the right attitude to be a contractor, however as the others pointed out the market is firmly in the bucket at the moment so it's a very risky move.

If you go into contracting knowing the risks then I wish you luck.

Comment

Not now.

You have to remember that many agents will give priority to people who have a history of contracting. Technically you may be there but working in a contract is a different ball game, you have to be productive very quickly and sometimes there may be hostility towards you. Agents like to see that you have been through a few contracts and been extended. An agent loves nothing more than placing a contractor who will be able to stay for years.

Comment

Be confident and be bold.
                If you can make it solo in the current climate then you will be assured of success when the good times come back.

The down side is that the current climate is likely to look like "the good times" a few years from now. IT (both contract and perm) is going abroad. Unless you are in a niche that will stay local then your work is going to the cheapest poitn of manufacture.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Established contractors will always be able to come up with reasons why you shouldn't jump in.

If you think your skills are up to it then by all means take the plunge.

One word of warning though. The market at the moment is the toughest that many people have ever seen.

The market was also bad during 2002 and 2003.

Some seasoned contractors have memories that go back to the recession of the early 1990s although the contracting market is markedly different now.

Any contractor that was contracting during the recession of the early 1980s and is still contracting now has probably spent too much money on coke, cars and hookers and not enough on their pension.

It would be advisable to have savings that can cover your living expenses for at least six months, preferably one year, before you take the plunge.

It took me nearly three months to get my first contract and I think I was a bit lucky to get that. I have been out of contract for nine months so far in this downturn.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    The down side is that the current climate is likely to look like "the good times" a few years from now. IT (both contract and perm) is going abroad. Unless you are in a niche that will stay local then your work is going to the cheapest poitn of manufacture.
                    All the more reason to fill your boots now while there's still the chance since the future is abject poverty for us all!

Comment

Working...
                    X