• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The biggest cheque I ever wrote...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest cheque I ever wrote...

...just cleared from my business account. Corporation tax bill for my first full year of contracting/freelancing/running my business.

Feel a bit sick now
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You need to condition yourself to not see the money that's due to the taxman as having anything to do with you. It's come to you for work you've done, and it sits in an account you control; but it's never really yours. You're just looking after it for HMRC.

That way, when you write the cheque and see the money go out, you feel a sense of relief. It's their problem now, and you no longer have the responsibility of looking after it for them.

Think of it in the way you'd think of holding five kilos of cocaine for somebody - the sooner they take it off your hands, the happier you feel

Comment

Write a slightly smaller cheque and buy a bottle of something good to help you get over the shock.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        You need to condition yourself to not see the money that's due to the taxman as having anything to do with you. It's come to you for work you've done, and it sits in an account you control; but it's never really yours. You're just looking after it for HMRC.
        You're right of course... I kind of hate the fact you end up holding the money for tax so long (both corporate and personal). It's beena weight on my mind not to accidentally spend it

Comment

What's a "cheque"? Is that a special type of internet banking?

You're living in the past. Today +10 years at least.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I think it is a primitive form of payment mechanism used during the last century.

I have a vague recollection of taking ten cheques for £1.40 into the cashiers' office of my local council to pay all ten instalments of my (reduced) Community Charge bill sometime in 1992 or 1993.

For some reason the cashier was not very amused.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              It's what my accountant recommended. Given that they work exclusively over the internet with me, I don't think they are stuck in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                ...just cleared from my business account. Corporation tax bill for my first full year of contracting/freelancing/running my business.

Feel a bit sick now
                I had the same reaction when I did my first one over twenty years ago.

Now I don't have to worry about such things.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

how big though? eh? hmm? eh?

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    how big though? eh? hmm? eh?
                    A gentleman doesn't mention numbers. Fairly close to what I used to earn 5 years ago... I am just about at what I'm told is a defining moment, when you first pay more in tax than you used to bring home.

Comment

Working...
                    X