• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed

Friday, sitting outside drinking Apfelwein at 19:30 with some friends and the phone rings. A small, 2 days only, project just down the road. I can do it but only Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday. The guy will get back to me on Monday.

Monday morning they get back to me just to follow up and how much do I want. Give them a price and they'll ring me up this afternoon.

Monday afternoon and contract is in the post with the amount I asked for and the days I wanted. No interview required, nothing. 2 days work (needed here for tax purposes) on my conditions with further in the pipeline, business can't be bettered.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

ain't life sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      A small, 2 days only, project. I can do it but only Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday. The guy will get back to me on Monday.
      was this a sharepoint gig, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by explorer View Post
        was this a sharepoint gig, if you don't mind me asking?
        Nope, Tivoli License Metric Tool comprising DB2, eWAS and ITLMT server and numerous agents on various OS'es and applications
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Well contracts all signed, haven't met the client yet but going down Monday to install and configure a rather simple piece of software (although on different systems than I've done it before, virtualisation) and all for just over a grand for 2 days, and local. What is nice is that they've sent me an offer for another piece of work to do form them, without even seeing me, but sadly had to turn it down. Replacing LTO2 drives with LTO4 drive in an 3485 robot and then doing the upgrades of TSM and microcode. Not being an IBM hardware engineer I kind of turned it down (although I could actually do it) but will be discussing the software bit next week. Another 5 days work there.

Although I'm primarily a mainframe systems programmer I seem to be getting more and more server work (Linux/Win/Unix) without ever having trained on it nor not really knowing what I'm doing yet it always work. When talking over the phone with end clients I tend to be jokey and relaxed, mentioning that although I've never done exactly what they want, I've done something similar once and it seems to work. Perhaps that is what companies are looking for now, confidence, some experience and not a know it all...

My current main gig I just went along and said that I had installed one of the 3 products that they wanted me to support but the other 2 were pretty similar (I've never seen them let alone used them until now) and after 20 minutes chat they just asked me when I could start. I honestly don't know why people find it so hard (apologies to those benched for a long time) but just go for anything out there, I do (actually I never applied for any of these, they contacted me.)

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I honestly don't know why people find it so hard (apologies to those benched for a long time) but just go for anything out there, I do (actually I never applied for any of these, they contacted me.)
            Don't, it's a troll.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X