• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New career in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New career in IT

Based in Brighton, I want to start a new career in IT, at the age of 39!!!! I used to code when i was a teenager, in Basic. Since then I embarked on a career as an artist, a painter.

Anyway i got the coding bug last year and have decided I need to get serious, start a new career. Due to my 'advanced' age, i'm curious to know what you think might be the best route for me, or even if its worth attempting a change in career in IT!? Over the last year I've dipped my toes into Visual basic, .Net, Real Basic, Cocoa, web design languages like html, php, javascript, css etc, as well as Coda and Dreamweaver, all to start to give me a grounding in software and web development. The problem is the job market is very competitive, and as i dont possess any IT qualifications I'm thinking about doing an IT Masters degree, as I already hold a degree (though in 3d Design).

I'm interested in the development side of IT, software and web development appeal, perhaps also using my creative skills somehow as well but not sure how, Flash, After Effects, Dreamweaver, i dont know what the possibilities are? My question is this, what do employers prefer? Should I do a degree/masters, or perhaps get some Microsoft accredited qualifications like a MCPD, or continue to go down the self-taught route, take the odd accredited course and build up this way?

I'm very serious about starting this new career, but I have reservations due to my age and also which course to follow if any? I'm also worried that the IT job market is too competitive and anything i try as far as learning would be futile as job experience still appears to be the single deciding factor to getting an interview let alone a job? I have no reservations about starting from the bottom, salary is not paramount in my mind and i understand experience and knowledge are crucial.

So am i nuts for contemplating life in IT or is this a good idea!??

Move along, nothing to see here.

Comment

Perhaps a forum for IT Contractors is not the best place for you to ask a question like this.

Even if you make a successful career change into IT, you shouldn't contemplate becoming a contractor for a long time yet.

Comment

Sorry but yes have to agree as well - this is probably not the right site for your query. Putting your age to one side, there are experienced and well qualified IT professionals who are struggling to find work at the moment - permanent and contract.

This site relates to the latter type, which in your case without relevant experience / qualifications you will find virtually impossible to break into.

Comment

There's certainly a market for people with graphic design skills who can also do a bit of behind the scenes coding, so sounds to me that you should be pursuing that angle. I.e. go and learn Flash, or possibly Silverlight if you're that way inclined.

Nobody's going to take you on for a regular programming job. Sorry.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            There's certainly a market for people with graphic design skills who can also do a bit of behind the scenes coding, so sounds to me that you should be pursuing that angle. I.e. go and learn Flash, or possibly Silverlight if you're that way inclined.

Nobody's going to take you on for a regular programming job. Sorry.
            WHS, the graphic angle might be worth looking into.
            16+ years is a long time to devote to painting before wanting a career change. The work environments will be completely different also. As a painter I would imagine you have a lot of freedom to do what you want, work when you want, have no boss.

However, nothing is impossible though but you might need a bit of a lucky break. I had a lucky break and changed careers but this was when I was 25 and my initial IT salary was very low. However, I had the advantage or programming Robotic Systems previously so the career change was not quite so significant. Back then I remember a number of agencies telling me not to bother as I lacked the experience in Computer IT, even though I had qualifications that I studied in my own personal time.

You definately would have to start in a permie job for at least 4 years (in my opinion).

Even though I love IT and started programming as a kid, knowing what I do about the industry I personally think at 39 another career would be a better idea (accountancy, management etc).
            Good luck
            Last edited by SuperZ; 15 September 2009, 08:57.

Comment

you could also try some of the freelance sites and see how you get on there. it could help you pick up experience while looking for more permanent work. like the guys say, it is a tough market at the moment but it will improve and if you're determined enough, you'll prob get in somewhere. the key thing is to focus on acquiring a good skillset. what that might constitute is best known to and left to you. i'd suggest maybe webby, graphics type stuff as others have.

Comment

does age matter

I changed career at 33, took 5 years off (well went to uni) finished by doing a MSc in info systems I think this was all that got me my 1st job since then my degrees' have been pretty well ignored just experience has been required.

If your happy starting in the pond life arena go for it, I dug myself out within 18 months but it was a good grounding just make sure you set a time and objectives and keep moving to progress. I am contracting now after 10 years permie, jobs are hard to come by but if you have created a reasonabe network of vendors / companies this can help.

I say go for it, it doesn't really sound from what you have put to be a make or break situation

Comment

I've given up on IT. Let the Indians have it. perhaps when the world order changes such that Britain is the developing nation, perhaps it will come back here.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

most coding and development is now outsourced, unless you have
                    very niche technical skillsets in a product/platform you should consider a
                    career in fliping burgers at McDonalds, at least you will have more chance of
                    getting a job .

Comment

Working...
                    X