• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any one benched here for more than 3 months..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one benched here for more than 3 months..??

I am on bench for more than 3 months. Just trying to see any one here looking for roles for more than 3 months..??? Or its not that bad..??

Yep. 4 months in reality, although I've been off rather longer for a variety of reasons. Getting really bored now...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Yep. 4 months ..
      Did u ever benched for this long in the past..???

Comment

It will be 9 months for me on Sept 19th

Comment

This time last year I was benched and it lasted 5 months - have been working fairy consistantly since Feb though - so don't be disheartened
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
            Did u ever benched for this long in the past..???
            Not in the sense you mean. I took a year out a while back then spent another two months getting work
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I had 3 stints (totalling 15 months) on the bench during the post .com collapse but the longest of those was 8 months. I seem to recall averaging about 1 interview every 3 months and consoling myself that at least I would almost certainly never have to endure such terrible market conditions again. This time I've had 2 interviews (1 perm, 1 con) in 9 months and I only got the contract one cos it was at my last client - but I didn't get the role.

I've never seen it as bad as this. I'm polishing up my CV for a bit of a Q4 re-launch but in 2010 I'll be placing 100% focus on plan b.

Comment

Been benched now for 4 months. Since starting contracting four years ago, I've never been out of contract, i.e. all contracts have been back to back at various clients.

I've run out of things to do at home (DIY upto date) and there's only some many times I can walk the dogs in any given day.

I did get an offer 3 weeks ago but turned it down 'cos I had a bad feeling about it (or maybe I just coudn't be arsed...not sure now).
                Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Do you claim benefits when you're benched?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Do you claim benefits when you're benched?
                    I personally haven't.

Too much saved for means-tested, and don't want the hasssle/disclosure associated with contributions-based.

Comment

Working...
                    X