• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presentation Skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation Skills

A few years ago, during the last downturn, I joined one of those networking organisations where you get to stand up in front of a load of people and make a sales pitch. From my point of view it was an unmitigated disaster - everything seemed to fall on deaf ears - but in the light of the present situation I might have to bite the bullet and get out there and sell myself again. Has anyone had any coaching on how to do this effectively & if so is there anyone you can recommend?

Only way to learn is to do it. It helps if you've done some stage work at some time...

However a few golden rules:

Know your subject. If you're very good you can wing things you don't know, but only if you're very good, so stick to what you know.

You're not talking to 100s of people, you're talking to one, who keeps moving around the crowd in front of you. Don't be afraid to make eye contact with him (or preferably her!) whenever they appear. Never look into the distance and absolutely never look at your feet; keep your head up.

Keep your hands still. You want people to watch your face, not your hands.

Speak up, speak clearly, don't gabble. They want to hear something(anything!) interesting, so give thema chance to hear it.

Take questions at the end. Far safer, since it won't interupt your thought processes. Again, taking them in flight is more natural, but not for a beginner.

Know what you're going to say. You don't need a fixed script, but get a set of points together in sequence and learnt them (or use prompt cards, but only as a last resoirt. You're suppsed to be the expert)

And RELAX!!! It's an easy thing to do, no harder than explaining something in a converstaion in the pub. Get it right once and you'll wonder what you were worried about.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      A few years ago, during the last downturn, I joined one of those networking organisations where you get to stand up in front of a load of people and make a sales pitch. From my point of view it was an unmitigated disaster - everything seemed to fall on deaf ears - but in the light of the present situation I might have to bite the bullet and get out there and sell myself again. Has anyone had any coaching on how to do this effectively & if so is there anyone you can recommend?
      I wouldnt bother. These organisations are only any good if you are in the clique. And you wont be!

They also have an unwritten rule of only giving 'references' or business to members who can give them leads for their own businesses.

And I doubt you'd be able to do that.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

My advice - never have a talk on an empty stomach. Or is that just me?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          It helps if you've done some stage work at some time...
          No, I haven't but I feel some coaching from someone with a theatrical bent would be of more benefit than shelling out hundreds on one of those corporate public speaking courses.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          My advice - never have a talk on an empty stomach. Or is that just me?
          Yes and the fact that these business breakfasts (where you do this stuff) take place at 7 in the morning doesn't help either.

Comment

Get yourself to the Central School of Speech & Drama

all ya need to know

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Best thing for my presentation skills was being a holiday rep for a season. They give you full presentation training and every transfer day you do a sales pitch on the coach and a sales pitch "Welcome speech" in front of 100 people every week. Thats one way to get over stage fright!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Best thing for my presentation skills was being a holiday rep for a season. They give you full presentation training and every transfer day you do a sales pitch on the coach and a sales pitch "Welcome speech" in front of 100 people every week. Thats one way to get over stage fright!
                Did you get to knob the punters?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  I wouldnt bother. These organisations are only any good if you are in the clique. And you wont be!

They also have an unwritten rule of only giving 'references' or business to members who can give them leads for their own businesses.

And I doubt you'd be able to do that.
                  The only one I've had some contact with is 4N, and they definitely don't seem to work like that. They do build their model about forming relationships rather than simply going in and advertising yourself, but their point is why should members refer you just because you're in the same group if they have no idea you're a sound guy.

Their online membership is free, worth checking out.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Get yourself to the Central School of Speech & Drama

HTH
                    Cheers, might just do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X