• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I brush myself up, or resign myself..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I brush myself up, or resign myself..?

Well, after a few good contracts all went wrong this year.

I've had a horror story with 2 jobs, both this year.

I thought I was fine with this game and enjoyed it all til now.

The first would still provide a good reference, the second maybe not (unless my umbrella company would confirm).

I've high-tailed it to temping, as I don't every want to have a 2 month gap and fret about money and hold out for the 'right' job yet AGAIN this year, however: should I give up the ghost and just try for a perm job?

Or should I try to develop a thick skin and get back into the game? I'm really missing the money, though this year has really made me question myself (just a crap year on the whole?)

YS,
    Disgruntled but not from Tunbridge Wells
    xxx

That is a difficult question to answer without any details

You will have to use your judgement to decide whether you were at fault because of your behaviour or because you were out of your depth.

Jobs do sometimes go wrong because the client has not put the right staff on the case or because the project was not viable from the start and always likely to go tits-up. If you are unlucky to end up on one of those you must try to salvage some positives from it and put it behind you.

I have one project like that on my CV but you'd never know it from the way I talk about it now.

Comment

These things happen. Just remember all the jobs that went well, and move on to the next one.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

before the arseholes start with the usual tripe..

in all honesty you alone can make that decision, yes it seems like it's been a tough year but then it hasn't been great for most people, I guess it boils down to what type of person you are:

- If you want the easy life with stability AND the money then your in the wrong job if your new to it, you need to progress permie style to the top of your ladder or stick at this long enough to build up a cushion for the hard times.
        - If you want the turbulent workd where sometimes it shines, sometimes it rains, others it pours and others it's fill yer boots time then grit your teeth, skill up and come back stronger. Eventually the war chest will be full enough for you not to care in times like now.

In short, there is no free lunch in this world, you make of it what you want or can. In my opinion the long term benefits make this job worth doing and the freedom to choose where, how and when appeal to me, you may think differently, either way, it's not something others on a forum can decide for you.

Have a think and weigh up your options. If you go permie that's one less person I'm possibly in competition with but then again maybe you should be so defeatist [speeling?]
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Excelent post Chef.

I only differ with your comment regarding free lunches - The Universe is the ultimate free lunch !

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            maybe you should be so defeatist [speeling?]
            You should have given up after defeatist
            Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
            X