• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!

Applied for a gig near my home location (commute would be under 90 seconds), Ive previously done this exact role, Ive got loads of blue chip experience, all the mandatory skills (and desirables plus more) over 7 years experience working indirectly for this client (public sector) sent my CV and covering letter in feeling confident......nada, nishter, zilch, not a dicky bird

I always follow up my CV and covering letter with a call to the agent to discuss the role and raise my profile, so call him, his "gatekeeper" answers asks me my name, repeats it (obviously so agent can hear) tells me he's on a call, takes my number and will ring me back in 10 minutes, no reply,
    wait 2 hours but this gig would be really convenient and its an 8 month contract so call back, exactly same thing again "hes on another call he'll call you straight back in 10 minutes",
    nothing, give it another couple of hours and call back one last time, same reply "hes on a call, hes going to call back in 10 minutes" by this point Im a bit annoyed at being fobbed off and tell the gatekeeper I was told to call back, mysteriously get put straight through and told by the agent he is waiting for authorisation to progress the role and will call me back as soon as he's spoken to the client.

next day job re-advertised on CWjobs, same the day after,

my problem isnt being rejected for a gig, thats fair enough, if theres a better candidate or my skills dont match,

its being fcuked about by agents!

Why do they do it? are they collecting CVs for swapsies with their mates or are they just rude and pig ignorant?

dont know if anyone else has dealt with this company but theyre called SEC

double glazing salesmen the lot of em!

Don't worry, once this role is filled they'll get back to you in a few weeks with something 500 miles away for which your skillset is a total mismatch.

Comment

Yeah, I got a call from an agent a while back, asking me if I would be a live in carer for a terminally ill elderly gentleman!!!

FFS, where does it mention that on my CV???

Most agents are fookin useless....
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
        Applied for a gig near my home location (commute would be under 90 seconds)
        If it's that close then pop round and have a chat, you might be able to go direct saving them money and boosting your rate.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          If it's that close then pop round and have a chat, you might be able to go direct saving them money and boosting your rate.
          WHS

I'd take a flyer on this one and approach the client direct. If I know the department, I'd make a phone call.

This agent might be trying to nick this placing off another agent, so at worst ask the client what agent they are using.

Comment

I would be calling in to the client or at least phoning.
            Courteous enquiry as you thought you had everything they needed. Can you discuss the reasons why they rejected you.

I suspect the agent has/is looking for a candidate or two with a better margin
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

what they said.

definately don't be afraid of trying to bypass agents.

i am not contracting at the moment,but of 5, only 1 was via an agent. rest were me being cheeky in every case it worked.

i appreciate it may not work with some organisations who insist on working via PSLs but one of mine was with a very large outfit, so it can be done.

Comment

Similar experience here. Infrastructure gig, perfect, tons of blue chip experience, mostly in fixing dire situations in major banks, travel companies & finance houses - rejected for a local government quango - obviously 14 years experience in the industry all with big names counts for naff all any more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
                  tons of blue chip experience, mostly in fixing dire situations in major banks, travel companies & finance houses - rejected for a local government quango
                  14 years private sector experience = 0 years public sector experience. Many people in your position getting a public sector gig run screaming back to the private sector within their first two weeks. Therefore, you are a risk.

Equally unfairly, my public sector experience counts for zero in the private sector and the 'third' (charity) sector.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    14 years private sector experience = 0 years public sector experience. Many people in your position getting a public sector gig run screaming back to the private sector within their first two weeks. Therefore, you are a risk.

Equally unfairly, my public sector experience counts for zero in the private sector and the 'third' (charity) sector.
                    having done both and seen the alice in wonderland ethos of the public sector, i can understand why this is the case!

Comment

Working...
                    X