• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Doom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8258405.stm

The number of people out of work in the UK has risen to its highest level in 14 years, official figures have shown.

Unemployment increased by 210,000 to 2.47m in the three months to July, taking the jobless rate to 7.9%, the Office for National Statistics said.

Claims for unemployment benefit in August grew by 24,400 from July to 1.61m, the highest since May 1997.

There have been signs the UK economy is beginning to pick up, but jobless data tends to lag behind other measures.

The number of 16 to 24-year-olds out of work rose from 928,000 to 947,000 - edging closer to the landmark of one million and adding to fears of a new "lost generation" of young people.

The jobless rate among this age group is at 19.7% - the highest since records began - meaning one in five is looking for work.

Where's Norman Tebbitt when you need him?

"I'm probably getting into the hundreds of applications for permanent jobs... but less than 10% of them reply. I'm left hanging in the air."

Nina Henson is 24 and has been unemployed since January when a temporary job at Argos ended. Before that she had worked as a manager at a gaming company which went into liquidation.

Nina Henman says she is in one of the worst towns to find a job
    She lives in Swindon in Wiltshire, which has seen unemployment rise by 227% in the last 12 months.

Comment

As long as our population keeps growing at 1/2 million people a year, we will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

She lives in Swindon in Wiltshire, which has seen unemployment rise by 227% in the last 12 months.

Chetty is in trouble then ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          "I'm probably getting into the hundreds of applications for permanent jobs... but less than 10% of them reply. I'm left hanging in the air."

Nina Henson is 24 and has been unemployed since January when a temporary job at Argos ended. Before that she had worked as a manager at a gaming company which went into liquidation.

Can't you employ her in your kebab shop?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Chetty is in trouble then ...
            He'll be ok, wasn't he a security expert at an NHS trust there?

Comment

"More workers, particularly young workers, are paying a devastating price for the bankers' recession and there is some way to go before unemployment stops rising," said Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB union.
              So it wouldn't be "Labours recession" then?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Is this Nina Henson or Nine Henman?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  So it wouldn't be "Labours recession" then?
                  To be fair the rest of the developed world are suffering, so we can't blame it all on Grodon. We can only blame all the other stuff he's done.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    To be fair the rest of the developed world are suffering, so we can't blame it all on Grodon. We can only blame all the other stuff he's done.
                    Were it not for his rampant spending of our money the UK would have a full war chest to ride out the current economic turbulance.
                    His massive expansion of the public sector and benefit dependance will only make our recoverry slower.
                    I am not saying that anyone else could or would have done it better, but NL have been in charge for long enough to take responsibility.
                    Had they not slipped the last remaining ties on the banks then we may not have floated so far up tulip creek either.

Need I go on?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X