• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mice

Tulip,

Little barstewards infesting my flat.

Woke up at 4h30 to find one tucking into my organic apples!

Any tips on how to get rid of them, my requirements are non-toxic as I have a dog and want to limit collateral damage, but humane dispatching of said pestilence is an optional requirement.

Sunny "mouse sh i te between my toes" san
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

swap the dog for a cat
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Move from a vermin infested bedsit to a nice large detached house set in a couple of acres.

HTH

Comment

We got one of those electronic boxes that plugs into the wall - lets out a sounds beyond the human range - the little folk cannot stand it. Got it from B&Q. Although I found the best measure was to stuff wire wool in any openings along the wall or under the fireplace and of course hover every 5 minutes.

We're not messy by any means and keep the place spick and span, however the hotels a few doors away just throw all their crap on the street and attract all the wee beasties
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yep

these http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/mou...aps-p-782.html

might be a little sick if you catch them on it fresh as they start to bleed as they pull there own legs off and what not - but then dump them in a bucket for 30 seconds and done deal. Little bastards

Comment

The only think that will work is a cat.

My mate lives on a farm with 2 cats and 2 big german pointers. A cat will run in with a mouse and drop it in front of the dogs and the fastest one to get to it will eat it whole.

Comment

Had a similar problem a few years ago caused by the kitchen refurbishment creating a small (unknown) void by some pipes which allowed the vermin to come up from under the floorboards.

Ideally you need to find the source of where they are coming from and seal it.

In the meantime, buy a humane mousetrap and place a small amount of chocolate in there - I found Bounty to be particularly popular.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Move from a vermin infested bedsit to a nice large detached house set in a couple of acres.

HTH
                Surely this will result in more mice?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I had mice in a flat I lived in in Wapping once. (The whole area is infested due to its proximity to the Thames)

I called Rentokil round (who charge the earth) and they laid a number of baiting boxes. These are plastic boxes with a hole through which the mice is supposed to enter. They're filled with some industrial strenght poison that, once consumed, leads to internal bleeding and death. (Not sure the mice were fooled by these however)

The other bit of advice they offered was to cut off their food supply, as the only reason these blighters surface is to stuff their faces.

So, make sure you hide / remove any fruit, and clean up as much as possible. If they start breeding you're f*****.

Agree with closing the gaps, but they can squeeze through a hole the size of a pencil.

Comment

I grew up in a house infested with mice - I'm rather fond of them.

Mind you I've never had a problem with them as an adult - I put it down to always having cats
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X