• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Footsie 5500 by christmas or year end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footsie 5500 by christmas or year end?

What does the panel reckon then?

I think there's an evens chance we could see 5500 by year end.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Hmm

Hyperinflation.

Comment

Originally posted by DocP View Post
      Hyperinflation.
      OK, 550000000000000 then?

Comment

If it were possible to predict the stock market everyone could get rich by predicting it, which isn't possible. Ergo it's unpredictable, at least by the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          If it were possible to predict the stock market everyone could get rich by predicting it, which isn't possible. Ergo it's unpredictable, at least by the masses.
          I can predict it. If I buy it goes down. If I sell, it goes up. If I buy what I think will go down, then it goes down. If I buy what I think will go up, it goes down even more. Etc..........

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            What does the panel reckon then?

I think there's an evens chance we could see 5500 by year end.
            all depends on ket data out of the states over the next 10 weeks and also figures from here. I would suspect that we will start to be trickled with recovery information from politcal sources anyway - as we come up to xmas and the election. but its not totally impossible - but the basis of the value would be absurd

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              I can predict it. If I buy it goes down. If I sell, it goes up. If I buy what I think will go down, then it goes down. If I buy what I think will go up, it goes down even more. Etc..........
              it happens to me aswell

Comment

It's unpredictable by anyone. Thats part of the reason for the current problems. The Rocket Scientists in the banks thought they could predict the markets and create formula's to prdict and limit risk. The management belived them because they didnt understand them. Turned out they were wrong.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  It's unpredictable by anyone. Thats part of the reason for the current problems. The Rocket Scientists in the banks thought they could predict the markets and create formula's to prdict and limit risk. The management belived them because they didnt understand them. Turned out they were wrong.
                  Yeah, it probably broke down when the use of rocket scientists became common. Some people get insider information or can react faster or see trends that others don't see which can be an advantage until the day too many people start doing it. There's probably some science in that.

Comment

Yeah, it probably broke down when the use of rocket scientists became common. Some people get insider information or can react faster or see trends that others don't see which can be an advantage until the day too many people start doing it. There's probably some science in that.
                    I think the problem is that there is no science involved outside of the formulas used to calculate individual trades. Market moves by +/-X, trade is worth +/-Y.

Being able to see trends or react to market movements is an art, not a science and is down to the abilities of individuals within their areas of expertise, not the application of complex formulas. The trouble started when people started thinking they could translate individual ability into generic formulas across the whole market.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X