• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWYD - Racial Incident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWYD - Racial Incident

Firstly, I hope you do not mind me posting on here for what is quite a sensitive incident.

I was very recently subject to a totally unprovoked racial road rage attack, a little bit physical but mainly extremely racially verbal. The driver was a cocky chap and had his girlfriend with him in the front. They were both shouting abuse at me.

Anyway I reported it to the police who have traced the chap down. The police are willing to question him and say because of the racial motives would be taken very seriously and go to Crown prosecution, but wish me to make a formal statement first to establish the facts (fair enough).

However and this is the dilema, I want to progress with the statement and know I should but my main fear is that of reprisal - I have a young family and don't know what this chap is like and could do, for example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident. Because of my limited company / linked in etc I am probably quite traceable and if it goes through court I would have to give my name.

I am not losing sleep over the incident but also feel why should they get away with it, especially if you would hear the racially vileness coming out of both the driver and his girlfriend.

Am I worrying unncessarily ? What would you do - make the statement or let it go

Anway thanks for 'listening' - advice / comments etc would be most welcome

Have you spoken about your worries with the police at all? Have you got legal advice? It seems like you should in order to see what protection your family will get if you do decide to go ahead and prosecute.

Comment

I was very recently subject to a totally unprovoked racial road rage attack, a little bit physical but mainly extremely racially verbal.
      They were both shouting abuse at me
      Where is the physical element?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Oh & btw

or example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident
        how do you know this?

Comment

Sadly, no matter what assurances the police may give you about 'protection' they just dont have the manpower nor the inclination to do much.

They cant be on your doorstep 24/7 (unless you're the PM), they cant protect your car or your house windows etc.

You need to decide whether to take it forward and risk further harassment or move to a different area or, drop the whole thing in which case the scumbag walks free.

Tough call.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by moonstar View Post
            Firstly, I hope you do not mind me posting on here for what is quite a sensitive incident.

I was very recently subject to a totally unprovoked racial road rage attack, a little bit physical but mainly extremely racially verbal. The driver was a cocky chap and had his girlfriend with him in the front. They were both shouting abuse at me.

Anyway I reported it to the police who have traced the chap down. The police are willing to question him and say because of the racial motives would be taken very seriously and go to Crown prosecution, but wish me to make a formal statement first to establish the facts (fair enough).

However and this is the dilema, I want to progress with the statement and know I should but my main fear is that of reprisal - I have a young family and don't know what this chap is like and could do, for example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident. Because of my limited company / linked in etc I am probably quite traceable and if it goes through court I would have to give my name.

I am not losing sleep over the incident but also feel why should they get away with it, especially if you would hear the racially vileness coming out of both the driver and his girlfriend.

Am I worrying unncessarily ? What would you do - make the statement or let it go

Anway thanks for 'listening' - advice / comments etc would be most welcome
            Fk off you troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Fk off you troll.
              You talkin to me ?...

...smells like one of snaws efforts

Comment

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
                Have you spoken about your worries with the police at all? Have you got legal advice? It seems like you should in order to see what protection your family will get if you do decide to go ahead and prosecute.

Yes - have spoken to the police and really don't want to go down the route of protection, re-location, name change even.

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Oh & btw

Quote:
                or example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident

how do you know this?
                The police told me but couldn't give details

Comment

I've been called Duracell, copper knob, carrot top etc all my life but I'm told that's just harmless banter, unlucky for me but there's no such thing as a 'commission for follicle equality'... put yourself in my shoes.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Unfortunately you'll just have to be on the news after it's happened. Then you will have a little more protection from the local constabulary. Not much protection or safety in the UK I feel until thats happened

Just the way it is...sorry to say

Comment

Working...
                    X