• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is now really a good time to strike?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is now really a good time to strike?

With unemployment now high and still rising, I'd be worried that my employer can very easily find 10 people desperate to replace me. And yet the Royal Mail are discussing strikes... sounds risky to me.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    With unemployment now high and still rising, I'd be worried that my employer can very easily find 10 people desperate to replace me. And yet the Royal Mail are discussing strikes... sounds risky to me.
    The differences being :

1. They have a union, you don't.

2. If they strike it could affect the entire country, if you strike who would notice?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Can companies fire staff for striking?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Can companies fire staff for striking?
        You cannot be fired for taking part in an official, legal, strike. A legal strike can only be called by an authorised representative of the workers involved following a ballot of all those involved which returns a majority in favour of the strike action.

The company is under no obligation to pay you while you are on strike and is free to make any arrangements it see's fit to cover your responcibilities while you are on strike. On your return you may well find that your job no longer exists and you are being made redendant.

As an individual, striking is a pointless exercise.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          As an individual, striking is a pointless exercise.
          I'm not sure MyCo would take kindly to me striking.

Comment

Going on strike to save jobs doesn't seem to work. Unions in this country seem to have bipolar disorder - they moan if there's a Tory government, but they strike and flip it all up anytime there's a Labour one

Comment

the royal mail apparently have a backlog of 9 million letters from the last strike, so if the union are posting out ballot papers they won't get the results for while?

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
                the royal mail apparently have a backlog of 9 million letters from the last strike, so if the union are posting out ballot papers they won't get the results for while?
                It doesn't work like that.

a) The 'backlog' is sacks piled up at the back of the warehouse / sorting office. They will sit there until someone is paid overtime to deal with them. So there is not a few days' delay to all post, there is a huge delay to some post.

b) You can be sure the ballots will go out and will be collected.

c) That backlog of 9 to 20 million items will mostly end up shredded or dumped in canals.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                X