• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the Netherlands

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a contract working in Amsterdam, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. It's a 12 month contract, but I fully intend returning to the UK at the end (or possibly before - I was previously told it could be a 4 or 6 month contract, which were both fine, now they're insisting it must be 12).

I'll be employed by an international company, via a UK registered agency and a UK umbrella company. I'm trying to find out where I stand with regards tax and National Insurance. The agency haven't been particularly helpful, with comments ranging from "we'll sort it when you get here" to "but that may not be legal" and "you'll have to get your own tax adviser". They've also suggested that I may need to be paid half to the UK and half to the Netherlands.

I'm currently waiting for a call back from HMRC, but I'm guessing they'll only be able to advise from their point of view and won't be able to tell me anything about the Dutch tax system.

Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

From Day ONE

Originally posted by kmb View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been offered a contract working in Amsterdam, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. It's a 12 month contract, but I fully intend returning to the UK at the end (or possibly before - I was previously told it could be a 4 or 6 month contract, which were both fine, now they're insisting it must be 12).

I'll be employed by an international company, via a UK registered agency and a UK umbrella company. I'm trying to find out where I stand with regards tax and National Insurance. The agency haven't been particularly helpful, with comments ranging from "we'll sort it when you get here" to "but that may not be legal" and "you'll have to get your own tax adviser". They've also suggested that I may need to be paid half to the UK and half to the Netherlands.

I'm currently waiting for a call back from HMRC, but I'm guessing they'll only be able to advise from their point of view and won't be able to tell me anything about the Dutch tax system.

Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

Hi,
    From day one you have to be on the payroll.
    Albany can help you with it. As NON-Dutch you will have a tax-discount of 30% .

ciao
    Justme

Comment

Probably best to go into the Dutch tax system from day 1, simplifies things otherwise you have two periods to deal and two tax authorities for one contract, in any case a 12 month contract might be the condition under which the Dutch authorities expect you to pay Dutch tax from the outset.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I am working in the land of tulips.

My understanding is that you cannot operate as an independent contractor, so have to be employed in a temp employment contract with your agency.

I am employed this way working for a Dutch agency who assign me to a Dutch client.

Although Dutch taxes are slightly higher than UK taxes, this is offset by the fact that as an expat you only have to pay tax on 70% of your earnings (30% tax free).

Best of all is that you're not giving money to the snot gobbler. That's the best thing about it

(you will have to queue up at a local government office to get a "burgerservicenummer" which is a Dutch NI code).

You should also use a Dutch accountants who charge around 1200 Euros per year.

Well done for escaping the cess-pit.

Comment

Dutch accoutants

KP,

Can you recomend a decent Dutch accountant who can take care of these matters?

Thanks
          Zippo
          SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

payroll service in the netherlands

Try

http://www.tentoo.nl/
            http://www.easystaff.nl/
            http://www.directpayrolling.nl
            http://www.please.nl
            http://www.expatax.nl/ --> tip
            http://www.adams.biz

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by zippo View Post
              KP,

Can you recomend a decent Dutch accountant who can take care of these matters?

Thanks
              Zippo
              http://www.aame.nl/index.asp?Onderde...D=&vastmenuID=

But these guys were recommended to me by the agent who placed me in the gig.

Probably best to go with whoever the agent suggests - the latter may be on a kickback from them, so you increase your likelyhood of getting the job if you do. (in my opinion).

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

The agency are insisting that I would not have to pay Dutch tax as I would be a UK worker, employed by a UK company and paid in the UK (contradicting what they have said earlier, and the fact that my salary is given in Euro's on the contract). Is this correct?

I've done some research and everything seems to point to the fact that I would have to pay Dutch tax.

My instinct is telling me to walk away from this contract (I've yet to sign), for various reasons - the above being the main one.

Comment

Where is the international company situated

Originally posted by kmb View Post
                  Hi everyone,

I'll be employed by an international company, via a UK registered agency and a UK umbrella company. Kevin
                  Who will be billing who?

OK Your umbrella company will be billing your UK registered agency.

If the UK registered agency is billing the international company situated in
                  the Netherlands then you need a Dutch payroll solution.

If the UK registered agency is billing the international company not situated the Netherlands then can use another solution.
                  In this situation you are being sent to work in Holland by a non Dutch company.
                  I have worked like many contractors for a UK company and sent to France on a roll out so I never had to worry amount French payroll etc.

Comment

183 day rule

[QUOTE=kmb;950657]Thanks to everyone for your advice.

The agency are insisting that I would not have to pay Dutch tax as I would be a UK worker, employed by a UK company and paid in the UK (contradicting what they have said earlier, and the fact that my salary is given in Euro's on the contract). Is this correct?

I had a short contract in Holland billing through my UK-based Ltd Co. My understanding is that if you are in Holland for 183 days or more in the Dutch tax year (=calendar year) you will be classed as a resident and it will be hard to avoid being taxed under Dutch rules. If you are a one-maln Ltd Co they will class that as being a Dutch based company. My contract spanned 31 Dec/1 Jan and I managed a few months in both years, but I think if I was offered a contract in Holland now, I would go native to save hassle.

Comment

Working...
                    X