• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parasol putting up monthly fees from 5th Oct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasol putting up monthly fees from 5th Oct

Time to get off my backside and go ltd co....

Okay, there's no easy way of saying this - in two weeks time we're having to bring our monthly management fee into line with our weekly fee and remove the discount for those of our much valued employees like yourself who currently pay monthly.

New monthly management fee of £119.50 from Oct 5th
    This is our first monthly price increase in 18 months and is, of course, still tax deductible. To basic rate taxpayers, the actual cost is from £73.10 per month and to higher rate taxpayers, it's from £51.91. Which, we hope you agree, is still not a bad price to pay for the services of the UK's favourite umbrella company.

Why have we done it?
    To be honest, there are a number of reasons. We've recently made significant investments in our service, such as 24 hour call answering, an increase in insurance cover to £23m and loads of improvements to My Parasol. We also have a growing admin burden in 2009 as a result of changes to employment and tax legislation.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

£120 a month! Jesus wept. Do they carry the tenners around to your house personally?

To me that reads as "Hi, we're putting the price up jsut cos we can. We've had to invest in our business and improve some stuff to remain competitive so we're gonna charge you for it. Here's some stuff about how we've taken on more staff. Don't expect to speak to anyone with any sense though, just bang your head against the wall as you call us. It'll save time".
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 17 September 2009, 13:08.

Comment

To be fair they only made £2.6million in profits last year and only had £12mill in the bank. Must be tough get the ends to meet on that!

Comment

Apparently they paid someone £300k to make their site look like a social networking site.

Rather than foot the bill, it seems that they expect us (their customers that is) to.

I will be moving to a different arrangement as a result.

I suggest others do the same as, frankly, in a period of pay-cuts and rate-cuts they've got a bloody cheek!

Comment

Or maybe its an attempt to get more business for Clearsky accounting - now part of the Parasol "family"

Comment

My only query would be the cost of fees after tax that is shown - £51.91 is only 43% of £119.50 so surely that would mean that tax relief of 57% was being applied - or am I missing something
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              My only query would be the cost of fees after tax that is shown - £51.91 is only 43% of £119.50 so surely that would mean that tax relief of 57% was being applied - or am I missing something
              Could it be NIC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                Could it be NIC's?
                Possibly but that does give a rather distorted view of the cost as NI contributions are only payable on earnings over £110 per week and this assumes a saving of £17 in NI costs on £119.50.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

ah so we are having the wool pulled over our eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                    Or maybe its an attempt to get more business for Clearsky accounting - now part of the Parasol "family"
                    or to pay for the advertising on this site for clearsky

Comment

Working...
                    X