• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talk Talk - just had to complain to telephone preference service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk Talk - just had to complain to telephone preference service

I joined the Telephone Preference Service for one reason only - peace and quiet on the phone.

Talk Talk went and spoilt our peace (a relative term considering there are 3 young kids in the house 2 of whom were just back from school) by calling out of the blue.

They started off by saying "You know Talk Talk have taken over Tiscali?"

"Yes"

"Can you confirm your phone number is 01xxxxxxxxx?"

"Well, you just called that number and you are speaking to me"

"Can you tell me what services you have with Tiscali?

"If you are calling having taken over Tiscali then you should have this information can't you look on my account?"

"Oh I don't have access to your account, its just I am calling to see if you can save money"

"So this is a sales call then? Telephone Preference Service".

At this point all previous callers have just hung up, no, this guy chooses to ignore my response and carries on asking me questions.

The only way of getting him off the phone was to say "I am not interested in saving money today".

I just filed a complaint on the Telephone Preference Service website.

Stupid thing is I was considering switching beforehand but then I would have lost my free calls to Europe which I rely upon for business use so I had already dismissed the idea, after this unsolicited call I have made a note to find another provider not connected with either Tiscali or Talk Talk or Carphone Warehouse.

I might even check out BT again, they give inclusive minutes to 0845 and 0870 numbers now!

What is also stupid is that, having taken over Tiscali, they are trying to steal their customer base - for what purpose, they already have that market share, so some idiot in Talk Talk is making their sales commission stealing from their sister company?!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

I'm on TUP and still get a few random sales calls.. I've taken my objective to wind them up to the point -THEY- hang up on me.. had some real fun doing this..

Normally I begin by telling them I don't take commercial calls on my private number, some accept this, some don't.. one guy a few weeks ago from a double glazing firm claimed it wasn't a sales call. I told him my definition of a sales call must differ to him.. after some excuse stating why he could ring me, I pointed out that it's my private number and I wasn't prepared to entertain the idea of him calling me on it.. in the end he got annoyed/arsey and hung up on me.

I sleep well knowing I ruined their day more than they ruined mine.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

On a side note, is that box which monitors who's calling (Dragons Den) available yet?

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        On a side note, is that box which monitors who's calling (Dragons Den) available yet?
        GCHQ fitted it earlier, but you're not supposed to know about it

Comment

I have probably missed 80% of all the episodes, tell me more

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            I have probably missed 80% of all the episodes, tell me more
            Was just this series.. some guys invented a box you plug into the phone socket..

If the number is in your safe callers list it just lets your home phone ring..

If the number is withheld or unknown to the box it answers the call, asks them to say their name etc.. then calls your phone.. you then hear who it is calling and can choose to accept the call, or for it to play them a message saying you don't wish to take the call etc...

I think the cost price was quoted at £55 or so.. bit steep I think, would be prepared to splash £20-30 on something like this just for the novelty factor of having a pre-recorded message screaming "F**K OFF!!!!!"...

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              What is also stupid is that, having taken over Tiscali, they are trying to steal their customer base - for what purpose, they already have that market share, so some idiot in Talk Talk is making their sales commission stealing from their sister company?!
              Maybe they've discovered what a shambles Tiscali is and want to drop all contractual obligations they have inherited?

Or persuade you to pay a transfer fee or similar charge?

Or from the IT angle maybe they want to save money on transferring customers from the Tiscali database(s) to their own?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm on TUP and still get a few random sales calls.. I've taken my objective to wind them up to the point -THEY- hang up on me.. had some real fun doing this..

I sleep well knowing I ruined their day more than they ruined mine.
                This is my favourite (telephone based ) game too.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Was just this series.. some guys invented a box you plug into the phone socket..

If the number is in your safe callers list it just lets your home phone ring..

If the number is withheld or unknown to the box it answers the call, asks them to say their name etc.. then calls your phone.. you then hear who it is calling and can choose to accept the call, or for it to play them a message saying you don't wish to take the call etc...

I think the cost price was quoted at £55 or so.. bit steep I think, would be prepared to splash £20-30 on something like this just for the novelty factor of having a pre-recorded message screaming "F**K OFF!!!!!"...
                  Sounds interesting, but definitely too expensive.

Normally CLI gives us a clue if we want to answer the phone or not and sometimes we just let the answerphone kick in. My wife must have been bored at the time as she answered straight away and then handed the phone to me when the guy wanted to speak to the bill payer.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I'm pleased to say I've missed 100% of them.
                    Slacker, I've missed 110% of them!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X