• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project manager going down in flames

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project manager going down in flames

This is not a whinge for those that would whinge about me whinging. This guy is in trouble. I am not posting as a knee-jerk reaction, I have since left work, had some ale, reflected on todays events, got home, had dinner.

Suityou02 has been awesome, very supportive.

This is my big break in the London markets and I am working my ass off. Last team meeting I was told that this week was somewhat up in the air, and that only the first 2.5 days were planned for me. I was asked to deliver A+B in those two days. I did. Early.

In those 2.5 days B+C+D+E were also added to the pile. D was problematic as the spec was incomplete, and did not suggest where to get the data from, there is a vast data warehouse, and myriad systems with no documentation. I was asked to speak to the head of the DW team. He was not very helpful, and said he could not speak to me until the end of the week.

I fed this back to the PM, who said that these delays would be added to the plan. I then got on with B+C+E.

I have delivered all. Early. Then at 5pm I was asked for D. I kept accurate notes, and was able to explain what I was working on, and how D was on hold. This was not acceptable in his eyes, and he bawled me out in front of the whole office. I defended myself, professionally.

He went away. 20 minutes later I was called into a side office. He said he needed to nip my attitude in the bud. I said I was confused, and did not know what he meant. He said that the way I replied to him was defensive. I had an answer for his every probing question was all. I kept my composure then, and in the side office.

He was really agitated, and I eventually concluded that the meeting was going nowhere and tried to excuse myself. "Sit down, I'm not taking any more of your tulip" was the response.

I actually sat back down.

He went on to say that I had not been working on priorities (even though he had asked me to work on them), and that even though he asked me to work on them I had only been meant to spend an hour on each task (one of them took 4). He only mentioned one of the tasks should only take an hour, and as this was an investigation this was fair enough.

This guy's contract is up for renewal, he has been bollocked for not keeping the project plan up to date, micro managing, and being too reactive. He has an interview tomorrow morning (he confided) and will learn if his contract will be renewed tomorrow.

I seem to be taking the brunt of his failings, and after a week of hard work am still not good enough in his eyes. Does he know he is on tulip street and is trying to take me with him? I asked for a copy of the plan as I had no idea of the deadline he was trying to enforce, and he said it was not up to date yet.

It would be so easy to bail, but I feel that I need to hang on in there, no matter how much this is driving me to drink.

Suityou02 is supportive but concerned.

I am not a sockie, just mildly pissed and being bullied. I need some perspective, this is why I post this, not for attention, just perspective which is hard to gain under this kind of unfair bolox pressure.
    Last edited by suityou01; 18 September 2009, 11:07.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Did I mention you are working for cnuts? Utter, utter cnuts?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Did I mention you are working for cnuts? Utter, utter cnuts?
      You did. I should listen more. Sorry.

I have worked for plenty. In a kind of Reggie Perrin had enough type way, I think I may just flip and chin him. First offence, 6 months out in 3?

Comment

Your problem may be solved tomorrow if he gets the shove.

Also delivering early is not everything - is the quality OK

From your post, it seems as though he has the problem and needs to kick someone and you have been chosen.

Keep professional and see what comes out of his meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
          Your problem may be solved tomorrow if he gets the shove.

Also delivering early is not everything - is the quality OK

From your post, it seems as though he has the problem and needs to kick someone and you have been chosen.

Keep professional and see what comes out of his meeting.
          Thanks for that. Both of you.

The quality of what I have delivered has been excellent. I have also delivered documentation and unit tests which was not in the plan. When I get going I am quick but thorough and have a good track record of delivering quality. They need me more than him I reckon.

Comment

Either I have worked for this bloke, or it is common it the environment you are working in.

I expect the latter case. This is why the money in the City is better.

Don't let yourself be pushed around but certainly do not take it home. Let the stress slip from your shoulders when you walk out the door every day.

It is a contract, it has an end date. Think of that, then think of the money.

Did I mention that you should not take your work stresses home?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              He was really agitated, and I eventually concluded that the meeting was going nowhere and tried to excuse myself. "Sit down, I'm not taking any more of your tulip" was the response.

I actually sat back down.
              And there's your mistake. Straight out the office, sit back down at your desk and wait for him to come shouting and swearing at you in public (again). Immediately he stops, go and make a (calm) formal complaint about his behaviour only, don't get into a debate on performance etc (save that if they come after you next)

You might get the shove, but he definitely will if he's already on a 'yellow card'.

Although, if you get the boot these wonderful evening threads will cease
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No job is worth that amount of tulip. It's just a job ffs. People (your manager that is) get way too wound up about this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Although, if you get the boot these wonderful evening threads will cease
                  Until the next contract

Comment

In my time at an asset management outfit I was bullied and abused constantly. And it wasn't just me; it was most everyone. Those that stomped off to management to complain were not seen again. Any whingeing got a response "You are worthless. Shut up and get on with your work."

I put in long hours and hugely improved the quality and throughput of my team's work. I made huge improvements to their processes and got them documented. (I managed seven staff.) No thanks.

I was responsible for roll-outs to the desktops; I implemented their first ever rollback mechanism. No thanks.

All transactions were timestamped but that had never worked properly; I got their 3 year old NTP server working - for which I got a bollocking off the server manager.

When the air conditioning packed up, I sorted out the machine room with fans so they servers stayed up. The machine room manager moved the fans so they did not circulate the air in a helpful way and I got a bollocking of him for putting the fans in there. When I explained how to arrange the fans and why, the huge machine room manager said if I criticised him ever again he'd kick my head in.

I changed the scheduling of the overnight data transfers so the Asian and USA offices could get the data they needed near the start of their trading day, not after the end of it. I got a bollocking for making their fixed-price ISDN lines max out when the office was shut.

The floor manager was a huge bastard whose job it was to scream in people's ears when he felt like it. If your phone rang twice you got screamed at. I had two phones on my desk; he would scream at me to answer the phone if a phone rang when I was already on the phone.

Eventually a new permie manager came into the vacant post above me. I complained about my workload and he asked me to make a list of what I did. When I was on page 6 at 3pm he asked what I was playing at. I showed him: one line per phone call or new task started or re-started. I could get hundreds of interruptions per day. His suggestion was not to answer the phone. He had no other advice.

There was a continuous threat of physical violence. Being shoved, grabbed and pulled, poked or occasionally slapped was not uncommon. Senior management were perfectly happy with that. To have a manage scream in your face that he'd drag you outside and give you a kicking for showing him up was a regular feature.

[ para regarding coercion to participate in dodgy practices deleted ]

The abuse was perpetual, especially by phone. All of the investment wankers would start every conversation with a term of abuse. They would shout at you and demand what they wanted NOW. They would then hang up, then phone back 2 or 3 minutes later to swear at you again. Any attempt to tell a senior manager that you had two urgent things to do would get the response: "Get on with them then. You can be replaced you know." If you did not do them ASAP you were sacked - simple as that. These urgent things would be things like recover the £800m investment analysis spreadsheet they just deleted or put their icons back how they thought they were yesterday. I wasn't even working in support!

God help you if you were out buying a sandwich when one of the money people phoned.

Being responsible for 3 shifts of staff and being on the other end of a 24 hour, six day message pager didn't help. Nor did the money - it was crap; something like £25 per hour.

The permies would pronounce the owner's name in hushed, reverential tones. When I heard the owner of the firm had died, I got pissed to celebrate.

In the end I was on a variety of medication and being off sick 2 or 3 days a week. Eventually my wife made me stop going in.

If you are not one of those people who can let abuse wash over you, get out before you get ill.

We can all see how unhappy you are. You must either find a strategy to cope or get your CV back out there now.

I am genuinely sorry I cannot give you any constructive advice; I have never found out how to stop caring about my work or how to ignore criticism or how to deal with bullies.
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 18 September 2009, 10:22. Reason: Wise counsel
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X