• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Overseas - Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Overseas - Australia

I've had a few radical changes in my life this year that have resulted in me ending up in Perth, Australia. I've looked into getting a work visa but it will take 18 months unless I get sponsorship from a company (which will likely mean permanent work), and will cost $2500. It's still possible that I return to England within the next 6 months so I don't want to commit too much to an expensive visa until I'm settled.

I've heard it's possible to continue to use the UK Ltd company although this may only be for 183 days(?). I assume this would mean a visa is unnecessary as technically everything is being handled in the UK? There seem to be a number of possibilities but I have no idea what the best thing to do is.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

So you're (a British citizen) in Australia and you haven't got a work visa...?

Your options are:

a) pick fruit somewhere for cash
    b) lie on the beach for three months (on your tourist visa) and go home when your money runs out
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      So you're (a British citizen) in Australia and you haven't got a work visa...?

Your options are:

a) pick fruit somewhere for cash
      b) lie on the beach for three months (on your tourist visa) and go home when your money runs out
      c) Buy a one way ticket and try to evade detection. If detected, claim amnesia after having previously burnt/hidden passport and other identity documents?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        c) Buy a one way ticket and try to evade detection. If detected, claim amnesia after having previously burnt/hidden passport and other identity documents?
        Would also need to affect Aussie accent.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Buy cheap lager, erase your memory of any knowledge of football (apart from rools) and replace with cricket, acquire a lot of sexist and racist views and refer to the customs official as mate.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Would also need to affect Aussie accent.
            Fair dinkum?

(where ? stands for upward intonation)

Comment

my mate was in this jam a few years ago and ended up having to marry a Sheila to be allowed to stay. As a married man I can advise you that £2,500 is peanuts compared to that

Comment

Strewth, that's a lot of information fellas. I'll need to let all that sink in over a Fosters. Far out!

Comment

456 Visa doesn't cost £2500 - at least it never used to.

Do a search, but there used to be companies that would pay for your visa and pimp you out. No idea if they still do that or if it's still legal, but your situation is far from unique...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    456 Visa doesn't cost £2500 - at least it never used to.

Do a search, but there used to be companies that would pay for your visa and pimp you out. No idea if they still do that or if it's still legal, but your situation is far from unique...
                    http://www.lester.com.au/

HTH
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X