• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL or Prince 2?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIL or Prince 2?

While I am loathing most things about being a permie (eg, had to cancel holiday today due to colleague on sick with a feeble ear infection), I am to get some training.

To get booked in for Prince2 Foundation plus ITIL.

What is the most useful to have?

Already done a self funded PM course from a Prince2 trainer for another PM training firm, so, confident I could diy the exam and pass, but, very happy for a proper training course on this.

It is a matter of what the most sought after course would be, incase I cannot hack permiedoom for both courses..........

PRINCE2 Foundation is almost worthless - a child could pass it.

The PRINCE2 Practitioner is entry level for public sector PM work and many other roles demand it too.

ITIL comes in many parts - do you want to work in Service Delivery? If so, it is useful in the public sector.

BTW, did you win the bidding this morning on Terry Wogan's auction for the Barbra Streisand concert?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Well it's all very well asking which is best etc, but since I don't know your line of work it's hard to say.

PRINCE2 seems to be the tickbox for any PM type work.. it's useful even if you're just working on, or part of a project as it will familiarize you with project terms, techniques, etc in a general way. Foundation is fairly easy to pass, the practitioner is only a little extra work over and above the foundation study and is multiple choice questions now (180 out of 360 to pass).. it used to be a written exam.

ITIL (v3) has a foundation exam which is the overview of the ITIL setup, from there in you can specialize in any one of ten management modules depending on your chosen line of work, etc.

In terms of making it worthwhile to your contracting options, I'd say do the certificate in whatever background/experience you have.. that way you have the qualification AND the experience to sell yourself for the role in the contract market.. no point studying something you will never use?
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Surely a more pertinent question for you would be:

Piss on shoes (again)
        Or
        Piss off neighbours (again)

No?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Surely what is most appropriate depends on what sort of work you do.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

God how dull! Whenever I hear PRINCE or ITIL, a state of complete narcolepsy comes over me.
            The country does not need another yet another inept project manager who thinks answering some multi-choice exam is worth anything.

FFS!
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I would say Prince 2 if you`re a PM, ITIL for other positions. Both would be best. Dunno if it`s just sheer coincedence but a few clients have been talking up their ITIL qualification requirement recently but that might be just to narrow down the candidate list. When/if the good times return they probably won`t care again.

I don`t think someone wanting Prince 2 under the belt necessarily makes someone a PM wannabe, just good to have varied qualifications, it can help in times like these.

I don`t think being a good PM is that hard to be honest, it`s comes fairly natural to some so completing a few multi-choice questions is all some need to open a door.
              Last edited by SuperZ; 18 September 2009, 19:29.

Comment

Do practitioner not just foundation, both are fairly easy foundation takes 3 day tops, practitioner another 2 doesn't cost much more. Worth going the extra bit. I found the framework helps everywhere, its just what you should be doing already but with more strict documentation.

Not had any experience with ITIL will be pursuing it next year, once I have my 5 new staff doing what they are told. I have just acquired them due to a takeover - I was happy turning up and taking the money. My existing team pretty much managed themselves, I was doing 'BIG PICTURE' and relaxing now I have to do some real work!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Or if Foundation is too hard - yesterday an agency sent me a CV for a "PRINCE2-aware project manager". I think that means he's got the book but hasn't got round to reading it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Or if Foundation is too hard - yesterday an agency sent me a CV for a "PRINCE2-aware project manager". I think that means he's got the book but hasn't got round to reading it yet.
                    I remember receiving a cover note for a CV where the guy mentioned "doing PRINCE for over 5 years"

....conjured up some really unpleasant thoughts.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X