• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear : us government supports torturing prisoners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear : us government supports torturing prisoners

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ory_id=5139141

what do you expect when you have a thicko "christian" in the white house?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Torture was never against Church's believes, see Inquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Torture was never against Church's believes, see Inquisition.
        And what was that Vincent Price film? Well said AtW, torture was invented in the name of religion
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

American Torture

I do think that thsi article does tend to imply that America shoudl be the the guardian of virtue in the modern world.

It appears that most countries in the world will resort to torture if no other means of obtaining the information sought is available.

If the yardstick is the scale and number of interrogation atrocities, I would imagine that America would be quite far down the list as biggest culprit.

Hypocrites and liars the Bush administration may be, but I would imagine that they commit the best publicised human rights abuses, not the worst.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
            It appears that most countries in the world will resort to torture if no other means of obtaining the information sought is available.
            The end justify the means, if a suspect was caught in London with traces of radioactive materials and some other hints suggesting that nuclear attack is imminent then I would not be suprised the guy to be tortured in order to obtain information.

But - its the END that justifies the means, not the process -- where is vital evidence from ANYBODY in X-Ray camp? And others tortured in secret prisons? There is none - otherwise there would have been big busts and Osama would have been here. This sort of stuff certainly does not work en masse and only counter productive. And this is exactly the issue - torture without results to justify it reflects badly on those who use it, for good.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
              I do think that thsi article does tend to imply that America shoudl be the the guardian of virtue in the modern world.
              Because America likes to pretend it is the most virtuous of them all and that other countrys should look up to them for it.

It's like politicians or priests, now i for one could not give a damn if joe blog MP is cheating on his wife with 3 other women and 2 men, unless he is one of these who rant on about family values and against indescriminate sexuality and gays while painting a picture that his home life is perfect harmony and bliss, then i take a particular joy in seeing him fall.

America either needs to practice what it preaches or stop preaching
              Last edited by Not So Wise; 15 November 2005, 18:00.

Comment

america is the symbol of the free world and preaching the values of freedom by :

- establishing concentration camps (there are no other words) in various parts of the world, including eastern europe. Some of those camps are even secret.
                this is "nacht und nebel", yankee style

- negating all international conventions, including geneva, Haghe, UN charter eg

- supporting the torture pf prisoners (see article from the economist). Bush will apparently veto any bill prohibiting US soldiers from using torture. against prisoners

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz
                  america is the symbol of the free world and preaching the values of freedom by :

- establishing concentration camps (there are no other words) in various parts of the world, including eastern europe. Some of those camps are even secret.
                  this is "nacht und nebel", yankee style

- negating all international conventions, including geneva, Haghe, UN charter eg

- supporting the torture pf prisoners (see article from the economist). Bush will apparently veto any bill prohibiting US soldiers from using torture. against prisoners
                  Do as I say, not as I do...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    And what was that Vincent Price film? Well said AtW, torture was invented in the name of religion

Dr Phibes?

Comment

Working...
                    X