• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

G'Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'Day

Hi all,
    we just spent four days crossing the desert to Alice Springs from Perth.

Its a funny thing. The rain has been falling and there are pools of water everywhere, but there are still bush fires. We had to dodge three so far, nothing dangerous, we never came within half a mile of a naked flame.

We have seen a few burned out vehicles, always next to a gum tree. When I stopped for a power-nap yesterday, I naturally pulled into shade. Under a gum tree.

The missus says, 'I think I know why all those vehicles burned out'.

The theory is that the cars catch fire when the gum trees burst into flames, like semi-extinguished candles.

we parked in the open

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Hi EO
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Wotcha

How are the snakes and spiders and bugs?
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Yarrr, you'll be wanting to lay anchor at Uluru then matey, 'tis a sight to behold no mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Hi all,
          we just spent four days crossing the desert to Alice Springs from Perth.

Enjoy my immense envy.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

hi Richard

35 here today in Alice.

We went out to the Simpson gap yesterday, west of Alice Springs. There is a canyon that goes through a set of cliffs and it holds water for most of the year because it never sees the sun.
            I found a pool a little way away in the bed of a dried up river, a few weeks ago it was the size of a swimming pool, now it is the size of a bath tub, next week it will be dry. There were fish swimming in it, about three inches long.

I have been on 'shake down' duty for the last few days.

we found a three inch cockroach in the room with three inch antennas. The missus wont move now unless I shake out everything she wants, towels, clothes, shoes, handbags etc.
            That b@stard was so big it wouldnt fit in my spider catching kit (a pot noodle tub and a postcard). All the oldies here will remember ELP. Well the Tarkus was modelled on this fcker.

I had this craving. we have been living on hard tack, tins of beens and tuna. So this week we got a loaf, ham and cheese, but there is a problem. by the time you make your butty, the bread has dried out, so i had this craving to put tomato on it as well, for the moisture. The missus searched high and low and got four tomatoes, I was chuffed to bits.
            This morning, she got them out of the fridge and they had frozen solid, unusable. It's so easy to die out here, and the next person who bugs me is going to die.

We are heading up to Darwin tomorrow. We have to stay off the desert because of the termite mounds so its two days on the road, about 900 miles. The missus asked me this morning if we could do it in one, it would give us an extra days bumming round. She says she will make it worth my while, and i think i know what she has in mind

she knows I will do anything for a soggy tomato.
            Last edited by EternalOptimist; 21 September 2009, 01:47.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I have been on 'shake down' duty for the last few days. we found a three inch cockroach in the room with three inch antennas. Tarkus was modelled on this fcker.
              My envy has entirely dissipated.

Hey, you've still got Internet connectivity, so it's not that bad.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X