• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and age what age is too old?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and age what age is too old?

Talked to a couple of Agents about this. They said they believed if you
    could do the job it didn't matter.

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
    Talked to a couple of Agents about this. They said they believed if you
    could do the job it didn't matter.
    Hear hear. My Dad contracted up until the age of 65 as a data architect. Some firms are willing to pay for experience. Keep it up!
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I have 2 x 68 year old guys in the office. Nobody is interested in age at least it seems that way in process engineering. Which is just as well since I likely will have to work till I'm 70
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I'm probably the oldest at ClientCo (roughly 25 developers) and I'm under 40

I asked why this was - a manager said that everyone they've ever taken on over 40 has been crap, so now they don't bother, although they would never admit this openly.

I think ageism is more prevalent for developers because apparently as the grey matter ages, you become slower and can't hold as many things in memory. I say "apparently", because I think I'm about as sharp as I've ever been
        Last edited by centurian; 20 September 2009, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          I think ageism is more prevalent for developers because apparently as the grey matter ages, you become slower and can't hold as many things in memory.
          Plus, they smell of wee.

Comment

I’m over 50 and I am definitely crap! I couldn’t hold down a developer role these days.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              Plus, they smell of wee.
              Sorry.

It's true.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I got taken on with another bunch of contractors in a place where everyone is under 30.

We are all much older ( I'm the youngest at 36 ) and we piss all over the kids with regards to skills, experience.

I think I am at the top of my game just now although I do piss myself sometimes in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  We are all much older ( I'm the youngest at 36 ) and we piss all over the kids.
                  Ah, how its lovely to post a quote out of context.

Comment

I'm sure Sasguru is too old though

HTH
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X