• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking "work" home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking "work" home

I frequently seem to end up leaving a couple of pens in my pocket and taking them home and of course emptying them out before washing.

This made me think, where is the line before you get into the realms of theft?

A few sheets of paper: Ok, a whole 500 sheet ream: pilfering.

What's the most outrageous thing you know of that someone has taken home?

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I frequently seem to end up leaving a couple of pens in my pocket and taking them home and of course emptying them out before washing.

Top spec Sony Vaio laptop.

No, it wasn't me
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

An ICL Series 39 mainframe. Brand new, unused.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. He pinched it from ICL and put it on his company's site; he didn't take it home.
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 20 September 2009, 21:48. Reason: My memory started to come back
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

HP Laserjet 1400n
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Worked for Channel4 Television many years ago. Guy there was "visited" at home by the police as a lot of "kit" was going missing. They found 4 top-end professional video recorders - probably worth £25k a pop in today's money - in his garage. Not a bad way to supplement a permie salary, I guess.

Nomadd
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I know of someone who (ahem) liberated a number of bits of Iraqi bakshee from Kuwait when we came back from GRANBY in 1991.

Comment

According to a Dilbert book I read about 10 years ago, you hadn't taken enough floppies home until you had re-roofed your house.

I did have my eye on that 480 GB disk array I configured for Y2K testing, but sadly clientco weren't letting it go. I can't say I'd have liked the leccy bills of course.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Years ago (1980's) in a smallish company. The girl in charge of accounts noticed a few cheques had been taken out from the back of the cheque book.

The MD called a staff meeting and said that if the person returned the money within a week nothing more would be done.

9 days later plod marched in and arrested the head of the research dept who had apparantly spent the lot on hookers.

I never found out how much was taken, but he got locked up for long enough to find out if he liked "Gladiator movies".

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                  Years ago (1980's) in a smallish company. The girl in charge of accounts noticed a few cheques had been taken out from the back of the cheque book.

The MD called a staff meeting and said that if the person returned the money within a week nothing more would be done.

9 days later plod marched in and arrested the head of the research dept who had apparantly spent the lot on hookers.

I never found out how much was taken, but he got locked up for long enough to find out if he liked "Gladiator movies".
                  That's a hell of a lot of hookers.

Or a few really, really good ones ...
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

One I've just remembered from permie days:

The guy who was still running around in his company car a year after he'd left. Probably still had his petrol card too.

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X