• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax avoidance is immoral - HMG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax avoidance is immoral - HMG

Has this been done?

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004540.html

Those who fail to pay the correct amount of tax not only flout their legal duties, but they also renege on their moral obligations to society.

Such is the emotive message due today from Stephen Timms, financial secretary to the Treasury, who will address tax experts on the need to end avoidance and evasion.

He is suggesting we arrange our finances so that we pay as much tax as possible. I'll start by taking up smoking.

Err .. we are all paying the correct amount of tax.

Doggy Styles - perhaps you should drink a bit more and get a bigger car too?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Has this been done?

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004540.html

Those who fail to pay the correct amount of tax not only flout their legal duties, but they also renege on their moral obligations to society.

Such is the emotive message due today from Stephen Timms, financial secretary to the Treasury, who will address tax experts on the need to end avoidance and evasion.

He is suggesting we arrange our finances so that we pay as much tax as possible. I'll start by taking up smoking.
      Fiddling expenses is just as bad; perhaps they should stopping claiming as much. What an arse I can not wait to see the back of this shower of...

"Extracts from his speech add that tax should be seen as a “moral issue” that “carries responsibility for every taxpayer,” particularly at a time of strain on the public purse"

Comment

Perhaps it would be best if everyone handed over 100% of their income to the government and let them distribute it all in the way that it thinks is fair?

Comment

<UnPCMode>
          Bit like the kettle calling the pan black bottom.
          </UnPCMode>

Comment

Its might be a moral issue of they spent more of it properly, ie on those British citizens who actually need AND deserve it.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
              Making a succession of "honest mistakes" is just as bad; perhaps they should stopping claiming as much. What an arse I can not wait to see the back of this shower of...
              [/U][/B]
              Fixed that
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Err .. we are all paying the correct amount of tax.
                I certainly do - zero.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

He needs to study a bit of Parliamentary history. Hansard has several instances of Chancellors of the Exchequer saying things like taxpayers have every right to arrange their affairs so that they pay the least amount of tax possible. Latest one was (I think) Lamont in the mid-90s. It's up to HMG to sort out the rules if they want to increase the proportion of taxes paid, it's not my problem.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

People who use their ISA allowance are evil bastards. Is that what they are saying now?

Comment

Working...
                    X