• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Engineered Wood Flooring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineered Wood Flooring

Want to fit an engineered wood flooring, had made my mind up on using a brand called Kahrs which I told was very good the 'Audi' of flooring, but I've heard its not that great now marks easy etc. I've also looked at the B&Q stuff about the same price now its in the sale at £36 per m2. Any one fitted either of these be it Kahrs or the B&Q stuff and got any comments on them ?

Make sure you leave a gap when fitting. My mates builder didn't. It expanded against the walls in his 40ft by 40ft consevatory ... you can guess the rest. The builder just closed his comapany before legal action started ...

Comment

You also need to store the floor in the room it will be fitted in for a few days before fitting, so it adjusts to the temp. in the room.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Wouldn't quality sanded and polished floor boards be better?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Yes. but more work than click-together engineered wood covering.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Yeah probably, but I have massive gaps in the boards and they are so drafty as its 1930's house, engineered wood flooring is going to help me keep the heat in. I don't want solid wood as its tounge and grove, with the engineered you can get the click system and its more stable solid apperently.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
              Make sure you leave a gap when fitting. My mates builder didn't. It expanded against the walls in his 40ft by 40ft consevatory ... you can guess the rest. The builder just closed his comapany before legal action started ...
              That is bad. Its supposed to be a floating floor with space under the skirting to expand/contract.

Comment

We have been looking into this also. The solid wood can be a pain. It needs to be in the room for a few days before fitting and can expand/contract a lot making it look a mess - My sister has it and it can look quite gappy. The engineered stuff does not expand as much. Also the solid stuff is more expensive to fit and takes longer. We would need some bonding material to get it to stick to our floor. We were also told that the solid wood is no use for underfloor heating because th planks are so thick.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  We have been looking into this also. The solid wood can be a pain. It needs to be in the room for a few days before fitting and can expand/contract a lot making it look a mess - My sister has it and it can look quite gappy. The engineered stuff does not expand as much. Also the solid stuff is more expensive to fit and takes longer. We would need some bonding material to get it to stick to our floor. We were also told that the solid wood is no use for underfloor heating because th planks are so thick.
                  Pray you don't need access to water pipes etc after you laid flooring that's glued onto hardboard base sheets that are themselves screwed into the original floor. Might be easier to sell the house than get it up again.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    We would need some bonding material to get it to stick to our floor.
                    I am sure that is wrong. The wooden floor should glue together and float.

I will ask my builder.......

Comment

Working...
                    X