• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question for those with experience in procurement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for those with experience in procurement

Afternoon folks,

Have any of you ever seen a software licence containing a caveat that licence costs will be adjusted annually to reflect inflation?

Specifically, the situation this applies to a situation with:

- Long contracts with fixed prices and terms (5 years +)
    - Enterprise software, with licences running into tens of thousands annually.

In this situation, an inflationary adjustment seems like a sensible way to protect the vendor, but I'm not sure if it's the done thing.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jim2406; 21 September 2009, 15:46.

Increases are common. Majority of suppliers I have worked with put a 5-6% increase per year in their quote instead of inflation increases. This way we knew what we were going to pay in advance plus they were offering a large discount if we purchased 5 years of licences upfront. We did not encourage the 5-6% but that was the way they worked. You need to negotiate hard to get the exact terms you want.

Comment

Software licence agreements are full of oddities, and the exact terms will vary depending on the negotiating skills of the customer, but my experience of them is that:

- licence fee and maintenance costs tend to have fixed % increase (say, 5% increase per year). This isn't indexed (i.e. linked to changes in the inflation rate).
      - support fees, if they are separate from maintenance fees, tend to be indexed (usually to RPIX plus say, 2%).
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
        Afternoon folks,

Have any of you ever seen a software licence containing a caveat that licence costs will be adjusted annually to reflect inflation?

In this situation, an inflationary adjustment seems like a sensible way to protect the vendor, but I'm not sure if it's the done thing.

Thanks.
        as prev messages, s/w licences are a black art, things like Oracle t&c's are quite confusing to many people. RPI linking is quite common and can be up for negotiating depending on situation/client/supplr.

Comment

Afternoon folks,

Thanks.
          I've just run a software procurement for £350k per year, 5yrs. We had inflation included in this @ 4%
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Afternoon folks,

Thanks.
            very common, although I've never seen one linked to the RPI - it's generally just an arbitrary figure usually around 4-5%
            where wuh wuh?

Comment

Originally posted by stillooking View Post
              as prev messages, s/w licences are a black art, things like Oracle t&c's are quite confusing to many people. RPI linking is quite common and can be up for negotiating depending on situation/client/supplr.
              Oracle's T's&C's would win a plain English award compared to SAP's
              where wuh wuh?

Comment

All,

Thanks for your advice, the general feedback seems to fit with my thinking.

An annual negotiation has been agreed as the route forward with a suitable increase agreeable to both parties.

Ta again.

Comment

Working...
                X