• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WARNING!!!! Improper contact by a recruiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING!!!! Improper contact by a recruiter

Here's a warning for all you very experienced contractors.

I had a contract recruiter contact me at a client recently. At first they contacted me via email in a general survey and were given a response of 'please do not contact me at this email address as this is a client and this type of contact is not appropriate'. They were also told to explain how they got my client contact details when they were not listed on my CV or supplied with them.

Then, a few weeks later I get an email directly from a recruiter and again they were given the advice that their contact was inappropriate.

THEN, a week later, I get a call from the recruiter to solicit me for opportunities at the client and to find out what I was doing next.

Lets just say this recruiter claims they are 'progressive' and are anything but.

Finally I found out where this recruiter got their details from. It seems the lazy sods trawled it from my profile on LinkedIn and then sent blanket emails to me. They updated their database, falsely, with details claiming that I held some customer role and yet never bothered to check those details were correct. They breached the Data Protection Act by recording false and incorrect information about me and then using that information to solicit unwanted contact at the client site.

When I got in touch with the recruiter, I was referred to their legal department who failed to see the issue and clearly didn't get the fact that a recruiter emailing and telephoning a contractor at their client is both illegal and inappropriate, and that the incorrect recording of data is seemingly ok, whether it be a mistake or not. Forgetting the fact that they have a legal duty of care to ensure the data they hold is factually accurate and was supplied by the candidate themselves, not ripped from a third party website and then used incorrectly.

Sufficed to say that I've advised the client, with whom I have an exceptional relationship, to avoid this recruiter and not to put them on their PSL - ever. I may also refer the recruiter to the regulator ASPCO for formal investigation. Its high time these recruiters stopped being so arrogent and unethical and took some time to realise that their clients aren't just the blue chips, but also the candidates - who have legal rights and should be given the courtesy of knowing when data is being captured about them.

I wanted fellow contractors to be aware of this sort of unethical behaviour by this type of recruiter.

Information Commissioner - if they have obtained your private details illegally.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by mavster07 View Post
      I had a contract recruiter contact me at a client recently.
      My first reaction is that someone has given you as a reference.

They were also told to explain how they got my client contact details when they were not listed on my CV or supplied with them.
      So they got them off someone else.

THEN, a week later, I get a call from the recruiter to solicit me for opportunities at the client
      Your details as a referee have definitely been given by some else.

Lets just say this recruiter claims they are 'progressive' and are anything but.
      Oh yes, Progressive. We all know them as 'Aggressive'.

Finally I found out where this recruiter got their details from. It seems the lazy sods trawled it from my profile on LinkedIn
      Did they tell you that? It was a lie.

They breached the Data Protection Act
      No they did not. You are a contractor = a business. You are not an individual. The Data Protection Act does not apply.

I was referred to their legal department who failed to see the issue and clearly didn't get the fact that a recruiter emailing and telephoning a contractor at their client is both illegal and inappropriate
      Inappropriate, yes. Illegal, no.

Forgetting the fact that they have a legal duty of care to ensure the data they hold is factually accurate
      You've made me piss my trousers from laughing.

and was supplied by the candidate themselves
      Oh, so you do know you were given as a referee then? I thought so.

Sufficed to say that I've advised the client, with whom I have an exceptional relationship, to avoid this recruiter and not to put them on their PSL - ever.
      You got that bit right.

I may also refer the recruiter to the regulator ASPCO for formal investigation.
      APSCO & REC represent the recruitment companies, not us filthy contractors. They will not be interested.

Its high time these recruiters stopped being so arrogent and unethical and took some time to realise that their clients aren't just the blue chips, but also the candidates - who have legal rights and should be given the courtesy of knowing when data is being captured about them.
      Now I've pissed these clean trousers too.

I wanted fellow contractors to be aware of this sort of unethical behaviour by this type of recruiter.
      Is this your first contract?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You've noticed unethical behaviour by recruiters? Shocking, simply shocking.

Comment

Oh, I thought you'd been 'Mrs Robinsond' by an older lady pimp. Shame.

Comment

Relax. It's the nature of the game, been happening for decades and will continue to happen for decades. Just politely say not interested and put the phone down. No need to get wound up by it.

Comment

Sufficed to say that I've advised the client... to avoid this recruiter and not to put them on their PSL - ever. ...
              I've done that two or three times for this particular bunch.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I once had a recruiter phone every day for a week asking for somone who had left the company and who's desk I was now sitting at. He was told everyday that the guy had left but continued. The following week I said, wait a mo I'll get him ... and left him on hold. He waited 50 mins! At which point I answered the phoned pretending to be guy in question. He asked if I was still recuiting in the B.I. field. I said no, and hung up... ?????? Why o why ...

Comment

... be aware of this sort of unethical behaviour by this type of recruiter.
                  In other news, the Pope seen going off to the forest with a large roll of Charmin.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                    I once had a recruiter phone every day for a week asking for somone who had left the company and who's desk I was now sitting at. He was told everyday that the guy had left but continued. The following week I said, wait a mo I'll get him ... and left him on hold. He waited 50 mins! At which point I answered the phoned pretending to be guy in question. He asked if I was still recuiting in the B.I. field. I said no, and hung up... ?????? Why o why ...
                    How wonderfully evil
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X