• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lady Scotland - employs illegal immigrant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady Scotland - employs illegal immigrant

I wonder if she was paying her in cash or declared it officially... hmmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8268101.stm

It just goes to show how difficult it is for employers to find out if the person they are hiring is legal or not.
    If one of the top legal minds in the country cant get it right what chance has an ordinary bloke got?

Maybe we should have a central database where people can go and find out about candidates
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If they don't prosecute her, perhaps the NFU (National Union of Farmers) will have something to say, as this farmer has been fined £120,000 for hiring illegal immigrants despite checking their passports.

I see no obvious limit to the number of immigrants this country can support

David Blunkett (c 2000)
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 September 2009, 06:56.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

More broccoli pickers on the way:
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8268028.stm

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          It just goes to show how difficult it is for employers to find out if the person they are hiring is legal or not.
          If one of the top legal minds in the country cant get it right what chance has an ordinary bloke got?

Maybe we should have a central database where people can go and find out about candidates
          We could write it to DVD and leave it on the train.....
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            If they don't prosecute her, perhaps the NFU (National Union of Farmers) will have something to say, as this farmer has been fined £120,000 for hiring illegal immigrants despite checking their passports.
            Shouldn't have been difficult to tell. The farmer was most likely paying minimum wage for a long day picking crops. The biggest shock in this story is that most of the workers were legally entitled to work in the UK, as the benefits system is so generous it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Comment

Now the politicians are involved, she'll get off Scot free (sorry about the pun) and nothing will come of it.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

She`s not a top legal mind. She was educated at Mid Essex Technical College and was given the job because she`s part of the Labour Party nomenklatura.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                  She`s not a top legal mind. She was educated at Mid Essex Technical College and was given the job because she`s part of the Labour Party nomenklatura.
                  I know that.
                  However, if the Atorney Gaeneral does not have the resources and advice to properly check the work status of a potential employee then what chance have the rest of us got?

The farmer quoted above says he checked all documents required and checked docs against passports. It seems some presented false docs which he failed to spot. Not sure I could spot a false passport/NI number etc.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The AG isn't a junior post. Don't plod check out people who would have access to her home and family to see if they have criminal / terrorist connections?

Maybe they did check, found out her status, but ignored it because she was cheap labour?
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X