• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing a presentation in an interview - advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a presentation in an interview - advice please

A few weeks ago I was shafted when I did a 3 hour interview for a role. I was presented, verbally, with a project mandate and the likely risks and asked how I would deal with it. I then gave lots of free valuable consultancy on how to run the project. The programme manager had no authority to recruit but was very glad of my advice and experience.

Having been bitten once, I am now paranoid and don't trust my own judgement. I need some advice.

I have been invited to attend a 2 hour interview for a central government agency. This is to include a 30 minute presentation.
    • There has never been a job spec, just a few vague bullet points.
    • There is no person spec., not even "PRINCE2".
    • The role has only been advertised by just one agency. Yet this is a government gig.
    • They cannot tell me what the project is except in very vague terms - I cannot even tell if it is technical or business change. Even for MOD secret projects they can tell you more than that.
    • There is no idea of budget, timescale or the nature of the deliverable(s) other than "3 months to 2 years".
    • I have been asked to provide a list of dates & times when I can attend, rather than the other way around (that's unusual in itself).
    • It is the same agency as when I was shafted a few weeks ago.

One part of my head says "It's a gig and somebody is going to get it so go for it". Another part says "Here we go again: free consultancy, tell them to get stuffed".

What should I do?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 September 2009, 09:36.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    A few weeks ago I was shafted when I did a 3 hour interview for a role. I was presented, verbally, with a project mandate and the likely risks and asked how I would deal with it. I then gave lots of free valuable consultancy on how to run the project. The programme manager had no authority to recruit but was very glad of my advice and experience.

Having been bitten once, I am now paranoid and don't trust my own judgement. I need some advice.

I have been invited to attend a 2 hour interview for a central government agency. This is to include a 30 minute presentation.
    • The role has only been advertised by just one agency. Yet this is a government gig.
    • They cannot tell me what the project is except in very vague terms - I cannot even tell if it is technical or business change. Even for MOD secret projects they can tell you more than that.
    • There is no idea of budget, timescale or the nature of the deliverable(s) other than "3 months to 2 years".
    • I have been asked to provide a list of dates & times when I can attend, rather than the other way around (that's unusual in itself).

One part of my head says "It's a gig and somebody is going to get it so go for it". Another part says "Here we go again: free consultancy, tell them to get stuffed".

What should I do?
    Attend the interview and give vague answers to any questions they ask. At the end of the interview, present them with an invoice for double your daily rate. That should cover it.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It sounds a bit fishy RC, but I'd go for it. Maybe you'll get some more info nearer the time?

Any of the other phantom gig signs e.g. refernce requests?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Its a governement gig. its unlikely they have enough competence to try to use you for free advice.
        Go for it.

Comment

You have no scope for delivering a custom presentation anyway? Hell, have fun. My choice of presentation would be

"How to manage a p*$$-up in a brewery"
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

What should I do?
            What are you going to give the presentation on if you have no details of the project?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              Its a governement gig. its unlikely they have enough competence to try to use you for free advice.
              Go for it.
              Yep I agree
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

that is a big ask for an interview. I would pass on that kind of guff but sympathise with your predicament.

Comment

Sounds like they're going to try and pick your brains with a free consultation in the guise of an interview.

The trick here maybe to not give the main solutions away but give 'hints' of how you would do it and hints of what you would be able to give them if you were actually recruited.

Make them want more ! but don't give it until the contract is signed and you are on site.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Its a government gig. its unlikely they have enough competence to try to use you for free advice.
                    Go for it.
                    Spot on!

Comment

Working...
                    X