• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weapons of Mass Destruction found in Iraq!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapons of Mass Destruction found in Iraq!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4417024.stm

US used white phosphorus in Iraq

The Pentagon has confirmed that US troops used white phosphorus during last year's offensive in the northern Iraqi city of Falluja.

And the problem is what? WP isnt an illegal weapon.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
      WP isnt an illegal weapon.
      There are international laws that USA signed up to that govern use of chemicals . Cluster bombs I think are also forbidden by use, but I think USA opted out of it just like they did with the landmines.

Comment

Mailman
        Pull the other one Mr Rumsfeld. How are the napalm stocks holding up?

Comment

If you smell napalm chances are that its the last thing you will ever smell...

Comment

Mailman
            The problem is that it is an illegal weapon if it is used directly against people, in a way that is "dependent on the use of the toxic properties of chemicals as a method of warfare" (Chemical Weapons Convention)

No problem if it's just a flare. If it's a weapon, then it is an illegal one.

Comment

That's a negative. It kills because it sticks to you and burns, not because of any toxic properties. This is not a chemical weapon.

Son, all I've ever asked of my marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Iraqis, because inside every raghead there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
                This is not a chemical weapon.
                Now that's news - phosphor is what in your view, sharpnel?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Now that's news - phosphor is what in your view, sharpnel?
                  Why, you little maggot! You make me want to vomit! You goddam communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Now you do love the Virgin Mary, don't you?!

The Chemical Weapons Convention defines a chemical weapon as one that is "dependent on the use of the toxic properties of chemicals as a method of warfare". White phosphorus munitions are not such weapons - they kill by sticking to and burning the target, not because of any toxic properties.

For your information, the use of incendiary weapons, which is what white phosphorus munitions are, for attacking civilians is prohibited by Protocol III of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, to which the USA is not a signatory and therefore not bound. Neither is Russia or the UK, both of which are world leaders in fuel/air weapons development.

Comment

That's okay then - Iraqies can continue dieing from cluster bomds, phosphor and what not in full knowledge that their death is totally legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X