• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed ! It can be done !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed ! It can be done !

Boomed ! After over 5 months on the bench (after my first ever contract), over 60 applications and 4 interviews - 6 month contract, possibly leading to perm. Yipppeeee !

Couple of questions though.... ?

* I'm sure I'm correct in saying that no-one would recommend I start the gig without seeing and agreeing/signing the agency contract ?

* I don't have a Ltd, and I don't think there is any chance of claiming much travel or sustenance. These combined with the fact that I'll be on basic rate tax for at least six months (earnings this tax year only £1,800 so far) means I'm planning to go PAYE through the agency that got me the gig. Does this seam reasonable ? and is there anything in particular I should watch out for before signing ? I start tomorrow so don't have much time to set anything else up.

* Sorry for all the questions but any tips for the first day / first few days - I have a job spec and a small amount of info from the interview but I guess it's really just a case of suck it and see ? Role is Infrastructure strategy and some 3rd line support of specific hardware/software.

* I'm just hoping I can slip back into things after the 5 month break, how have others found going back after so long ?

Good luck to everyone still looking for the next role ! , things were tough for me at times but I just kept on plugging away until I managed to get something - was applying for some pretty dire roles in the end, and even the rate on this one isn't that good, but at least I'm back ! Picked up a lot of good advice from the board whilst lurking around, so thanks everyone !

Congratulations

There is hope for us all, or is there?

Is the reason that you are thinking of going PAYE through the agency because the role is really an agency temp role and not a contract?

I can understand that it is not worth setting up a Limited Company if you think that you might go permie after the six month period, but I can't see how being on Agency Temp terms beats going through an Umbrella.
    Last edited by sweetandsour; 23 September 2009, 08:11. Reason: Clarifying a point.

Comment

Well done.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
        Congratulations

There is hope for us all, or is there?

Is the reason that you are thinking of going PAYE through the agency because the role is really an agency temp role and not a contract?

I can understand that it is not worth setting up a Limited Company if you think that you might go permie after the six month period, but I can't see how being on Agency Temp terms beats going through an Umbrella.
        ^^ WHS

It also gives you a bit more protection if the business folds as there's a layer of extra insurance in place. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where going PAYE works out the same or better than running on an Ltd Co. Day rate when all is said and done.

With regards to expenses - you can expense things like travel to the office if you go through a Brolly - you can't do that with PAYE I doubt as it's considered your permanent place of work - rather than a "client site".
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

The only agency I've dealt with that offered a PAYE option was Computer People so I'm guessing it might be them? As has been said - you'll not be able to claim a lot of the expenses that a brolly company can offer. I'd certainly go down that route instead of PAYE, you can get a brolly set up in a couple of days.
              A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Nice One!!!

Well done Matey!!!!

Comment

Excellent

Comment

Unless you are on a really low rate then even for 6 months setup a Ltd, the savings are in PAYE not your personal tax. Read up on it ! I once set up a Ltd for a 3 monther while on a flying visit to the UK. You could, and I think probably still can use your capital gains allowance if you wrap up your Ltd after 6 months. With the standard accountants often mentioned on here, you'll pay £700-800 setup inc 12 months miniumum fees and then a couple of hundred to shut down the Ltd, and you'll then save thousands.

ps. well done !

Comment

Working...
                    X