• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programming Pairs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming Pairs

Anyone ever done this before? I've just had my CV forwarded to a company who is big on programming pairs. What I didn't realise is that you both sit at the same workstation; one types in the code while the other scrutinizes what you're typing, then after 30 minutes, you swap. It sounds absolutely ghastly - not just from the point of view that you'll be at each other's throats all day every day but the thought of just being in close proximity with someone who may have personal hygiene issues

I can only assume that this hasn't really taken off yet as we'd be reading about violent incidents among IT staff.

I experienced this when I had to do some programming on the trident misile guidance systems. it was a hot fix to the live national defence system and I had to have a MOD guy stand behind me with a gun in case I selected the 'bomb russia now' button. I earnt my money that night I can tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      I experienced this when I had to do some programming on the trident misile guidance systems. it was a hot fix to the live national defence system and I had to have a MOD guy stand behind me with a gun in case I selected the 'bomb russia now' button. I earnt my money that night I can tell you.
      Did you get to hold the gun when it was his turn to code?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Trendy XP bollox.

I've inadvertantly ended up doing this when I still haven't got a machine after 3 weeks on site, but maybe this isn't what its meant to address

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Did you get to hold the gun when it was his turn to code?

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
            >Lets play: Global Thermo Nuclear War.

I remember one guy in my team always thought this was the way forward. I could just imagine the conversation I'd have to have with the boss. "So you want to hire twice as many people, but only do the same amount of work?". He'd have gone pale, and starting looking for somebody else to run his software development.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Load of crap.
                Agreed... Costly, pointless and I wouldn't agree to it...

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

I can only assume that this hasn't really taken off yet as we'd be reading about violent incidents among IT staff.
                  I had to impose this on my team. They really didn't like it and bitched constantly at each other, so we wasted lots of time resolving arguments. It was quietly dropped
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I had my CEO sit behind me watching intently once, not to check my code but because he was bored out of his mind and wanted to see someone actually doing real coding.

He sat behind me, looking over my shoulder and I got a bit of coders block. I hate someone sitting behind me watching what I do and wanting a running commentary as I type. I'm fast, and jump up and down the code all the time, having to slow myself down to punter speeds and explain everything at the same time threw me off, so I eventually told him to bugger off and let me get on with this important, time sensitive fix.

I couldn't handle a programming pair, it would be just like playing windows solitaire, you know, with the smart arse pointing out cards just before you are going to go for them. 5 of diamonds, 5 of diamonds.. over there... Argh fsck off!!

Comment

Working...
                    X