• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon Brown to announce a cut to the UK nuclear fleet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Brown to announce a cut to the UK nuclear fleet

I can hardly believe what I am hearing.

Trident fleet to be cut Gordon Brown to announce.

Linky (the Telegraph)

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. It is just that the reason for the cuts is much more likely to be because the country can't afford to run them any more.

I can see that. You can see that. The rest of the whole frickin world can see that and is unlikely to give us much credit for it.

What's that sound? Is that the sound of the rest of the world laughing at us? What has this country come to?

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    I can hardly believe what I am hearing.

Trident fleet to be cut Gordon Brown to announce.

Linky (the Telegraph)

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. It is just that the reason for the cuts is much more likely to be because the country can't afford to run them any more.

I can see that. You can see that. The rest of the whole frickin world can see that and is unlikely to give us much credit for it.

What's that sound? Is that the sound of the rest of the world laughing at us? What has this country come to?
    Its all a bit stupid really... Its only going to save about 2 or 3 billion at the most...and not the 5 billion as suggested in the article...

Comment

I'm wondering... Why don't we just ditch Trident completely and hire some nuclear subs from the Americans?
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Heard this on the radio, apparently it is part of a global nuclear weapon reduction plan

Comment

we can't afford it. we should drop it. we can borrow some from the americans in the meantime and start designing something else instead.

Comment

I hope we fire off all the nukes on that fourth sub at somebody before it gets scrapped. Seems a shame to waste them. Flattening the Middle East would certainly solve a lot of problems.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

But, ...... but, ...... but ....

Gordon Brown is statesman of the year

The award was presented on behalf of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation, an interfaith organisation which campaigns for religious freedom and human rights, by the veteran US former secretary of state Henry Kissinger.

The foundation praised Brown's "compassionate leadership in dealing with the challenging issues facing humanity, his commitment to freedom, human dignity and the environment, and for the major role he has played in helping to stabilise the world's financial system"
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I hope we fire off all the nukes on that fourth sub at somebody before it gets scrapped. Seems a shame to waste them. Flattening the Middle East would certainly solve a lot of problems.
                Might reduce the oil supply a bit though.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  I'm wondering... Why don't we just ditch Trident completely and hire some nuclear subs from the Americans?
                  As against buying them from the Americans but leaving them under ultimate American control?

Sweetandsour, do you think people will laugh at us more if we admit that we can't afford it, or if we can't afford it but won't admit it? As for what this country has come to, I think that's becoming clear.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

As stated in the Mash

Dr Tom Logan, of the Institute for International Studies, said: "The story of Britain's independent nuclear deterrent is the story of a man on £30,000 a year who gets into massive debt so he can buy an Aston Martin that costs a fortune to maintain, sits in his driveway for 300 days a year and makes him look like a cock."

He added: "The Russians were never going to attack us. You can't fire a nuclear missile at Osama Bin Laden and if Iran ever does build an atomic bomb my feeling is they will probably aim it at Tel Aviv rather than Darlington."

Linky

Comment

Working...
                    X