• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not sure what to think?!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to think?!?!

On the phone to an agent today. He asked me if I would reconsider becoming a permie. Advised me on the state of the competition. A contractor he has on his books with 20 years plus experience, MBA, Prince2 Practitioner and so many other qualifications asking for £280 a day. Been on the bench for months! Apologies if this is anybody here.

Part of me wants to think that the agent has lots of permie work and wants me to close down Ltd co. and give up the contract hunt. I said no and yes I do know things are bad but I still feel confident that something will turn up. I have a few leads still.

Thoughts?!?!

Agents will say absolutely anything if they think it might get the result that they are seeking.

Never believe a word.

Comment

I would think....."all agents are lying *****"

HTH

Comment

Tell him you might consider it if the right job came along, but you prefer contract work.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I said that I need to give it a lot more time before I choose a different path. I have thoughts on starting up a small business and I think that is more of an option than going permie.

Comment

He has just received a job spec for a tulip job with a large commision. He is looking for a likely candidate. He has probably been ringing round anybody who has been benched for a while.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
              Agents will say absolutely anything if they think it might get the result that they are seeking.

Never believe a word.
              Absolutely. He'll be telling you the opposite tomorrow if the sniff of a contract pops up.

Comment

or he is planting a seed to get you to think about reducing your rate.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I have said my rate was completely negotiable and have not fixed it down at all. Must be the fact he has a permie role on his books with a large commission.

Comment

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
                    I have said my rate was completely negotiable and have not fixed it down at all. Must be the fact he has a permie role on his books with a large commission.
                    yep, same tulipe, different pimp, they'll try anything.

tell him to fork orf
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X