• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home CCTV options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home CCTV options

Neighbour getting nutty, damaging my property.

I am wanting to get three outdoor webcams, hooked up to my P4 desktop.

After three webcams, sound added bonus. Want to have them wireless, but can get mains supply to each webcam.

Easy enough to sort this - main problem / query is about the recording on my desktop.

Don't want motion activated incase I miss anything.

Wanting to continously record and overwrite after say 72 hours.

Can anyone reccomend appropriate software for this, either in XP, or sourced elsewhere?

Have you considered moving to a remote cottage where there are no neighbours for you to annoy?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Have you considered moving to a remote cottage where there are no neighbours for you to annoy?
      I was thinking of an island myself......

Can probably trade my two houses in leafy Wilmslow for an island in Scotland and get change!

Comment

and once you have the cams installed you must make sure they are not overlooking your neighbours property (he/she can get you to take them down), signs are put up around your property stating that cctv cameras are in operation, and I am sure there are other laws you must fulfill to allow the recordings submissable in court if that is your intention...In a nutshell luv thy neighbour its cheaper....

Comment

Think there was a thread on CCTV before. NFH (which I know you have found) has a whole section.

Basically, cheap wireless @ 2.4MHz has problems. They do give a good picture but interference and break up if too far away keeps spuriously triggering motion detection on a DVR if you did decide to use it. These things never have anywhere near the "up to" range quoted in the ads. Mine is supposed to be up to 50m but with detector in office window and camera in shed it is barely 50ft and too flicky to work with a DVR motion detector. Also another signal from a nearby works sometimes breaks through and I get a great view of an oil storage tank.

Use wired if you can, otherwise look at the 4.8Mhz ones that are supposed to be better. Doubt it myself as it is breakup due to inadequate range that is the main problem, not interference. Also some can be more suited to shops, rather narrow field of view.

PS If directed mainly at your own property you don't need signs. Under what conditions they are acceptable in court I don't know.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 24 September 2009, 13:04.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use this, I really like it.

http://www.visiongs.com/

It comes with a web server so I can check on the house when I am away.

Comment

I got DVR and wired CCTV from

http://www.sctltd.co.uk

Chinese made, poor instructions but work well and seem reliable. They have optional LAN port or adapters to plug into PC or you can transfer from DVR with memory stick. The DVR can be set to record continuously if that's what you want. There are various capacities, a cheap one will do 80 hours at medium quality 60fps. 1fps should be enough and gives about 3000 hrs at high quality.

I got wireless pinhole camera from www.pakatak.co.uk
              Last edited by xoggoth; 24 September 2009, 13:18.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What is the betting there will soon be a thread from wilmslow's neighbour requesting info on best sort of spades, types of lime to use, etcetc.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  What is the betting there will soon be a thread from wilmslow's neighbour requesting info on best sort of spades, types of lime to use, etcetc.
                  Let's hope so.

Comment

The cretin pisses off his neighbours at one address, moves house and pisses off his new neighbours.

Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                    X