• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody jury duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody jury duty

next week will see the start of my 4th week... This was supposed to be a 5 day case.

the amount of arsing around that goes on in there is unbelieveable!
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Would you have preferred to get yourself convicted in a few hours by a panel of 3 judges and executed the same day?

Maybe citizens should be allowed to opt out from jury duty, however by doing so they should also opt out from the justice system as it is in the West.

Comment

next week will see the start of my 4th week... This was supposed to be a 5 day case.
      Apparently if you sit in the jury box doing Su Doku's you can get off it.

Or wear a tee shirt with "Guilty as Sin" printed on it in big red letters, you'll be home in time for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        Apparently if you sit in the jury box doing Su Doku's you can get off it.

Or wear a tee shirt with "Guilty as Sin" printed on it in big red letters, you'll be home in time for lunch.
        the judge apolosed for the messing around today and offer us a dispensation so we would never be picked again! there is an up side to everything...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Would you have preferred to get yourself convicted in a few hours by a panel of 3 judges and executed the same day?

Maybe citizens should be allowed to opt out from jury duty, however by doing so they should also opt out from the justice system as it is in the West.
          I do think that the Jury system is preferable to any alternative and wouldn't want to see it gone but I am sympathetic to the OP's complaint about the amount of delay that lawyers seek to introduce, from my own experience.

I sat through a case that was supposedly going to take five days. Thankfully it only took seven days and not four weeks although all the original charges were dropped on day four and replaced with new lesser charges that could have been dealt with by a magistrate.

The courts keep "gentlemen's hours" as it is but still the defence lawyers jumped on every opportunity to suggest to the Judge that they should "not keep the jury from their lunch" or "not detain the jury any further today".

Comment

I've just finished mine and watched 12 Angry Men beforehand to get in character.

I agree with scooby though. Hours being spent in a glorified doctors waiting room just sitting around reading books. Me and a handful of other jurors managed to get excused for one case that was envisaged to take six weeks. When I finally got on a trial it was pretty interesting though.

I also got paid £3000 for the experience which I can heartily recommend. Thanks PCG Plus! What made it even sweeter was that I was "between contracts" at the time. Last year's accounts are all you need.

Comment

I turned up and did my duty. Unfortunately, I didn't get on a single case. Pretty disappointing really.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                I've just finished mine and watched 12 Angry Men beforehand to get in character.

I agree with scooby though. Hours being spent in a glorified doctors waiting room just sitting around reading books. Me and a handful of other jurors managed to get excused for one case that was envisaged to take six weeks. When I finally got on a trial it was pretty interesting though.

I also got paid £3000 for the experience which I can heartily recommend. Thanks PCG Plus! What made it even sweeter was that I was "between contracts" at the time. Last year's accounts are all you need.
                this is our situation... we've had so many points of law and even a change of defense barrister (dont blame him though, she was tulip!). There isnt just me losing money, there is a aircraft metal worker who woudl have been in Switzerland last week but instead lot a lot of money.

I also have PCG Plus, but only covers you for the first 10days up to a max of £3k less any payment from the court. I lost money each day for those 10 days, and now losing nearly £250pd for last week and whatever is left of this case Thats why i'm annoyed.

Comment

We should be allowed to judge the case with a sort of iPlayer facility and vote via the Internet.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    The courts keep "gentlemen's hours" as it is but still the defence lawyers jumped on every opportunity to suggest to the Judge that they should "not keep the jury from their lunch" or "not detain the jury any further today".
                    Yes they do it in order to avoid jury convicting their client because the jury is hungry or annoyned to have missed Eastenders.

Personally I think people who don't understand the importance of jury service (and by that I mean making all necessary sacrifices) should be disqualified straight away, it should be possible to opt out, however those who do so should automatically opt out from this sort of justice system and, should their time come, get judged by a single judge, without those aweful defence lawyers and of course without jury.

Comment

Working...
                    X