• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firing Fellow Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firing Fellow Contractor

I work at a bank where one contractor is just completely useless. This is a tech team and he has told me categorically he has no interest in IT.

His analysis of systems is poor and communication skills also poor.

I am the lead developer on the team and my manager has asked me for feedback on this contractor.

Should I be honest and tell him how useless he is (My manager is not techy but more of a businness facing project manager)?

Or should I say he is fine and showing potential because it will make me look better?

Basically is it good to have medicore people on the team so your job is quite secure ???

I am sure SAS can take it.

Comment

I've had this situation before and it seems to be best to view it that:

(a) contractors are expensive
      (b) if not getting value-for-money, can 'em

The risk of not doing (b) is that the client may begin to doubt your credibility.

Comment

I had something similar as lead developer, although this contractor was attempting to blame his lack of ability on my design - so I took to the client to one side and explained the technical design as simply as I could (it was quite straightforward to be honest) and within a month that contractor was gone and my reputation remained in tact.

If your project is falling behind it may look like your responsibility if you don't do something about it.

Comment

Been there, done it.

Be honest, if you cover for them and they get canned anyway, you could end up going with them.

Contractors like that give the rest of us a bad name IMO
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Can his asap

Comment

Wts!

Comment

NO! DON'T DO IT!

If you can him, then sasguru will no longer be able to wield an army of sockpuppets on here as he is too cheap to have the Net at home.

Off to my office do some work - need to rewrite one of a few single threaded now very long running processes in SKA and I only got 12 hours to do it

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                  I work at a bank where one contractor is just completely useless. This is a tech team and he has told me categorically he has no interest in IT.

His analysis of systems is poor and communication skills also poor.

I am the lead developer on the team and my manager has asked me for feedback on this contractor.

Should I be honest and tell him how useless he is (My manager is not techy but more of a businness facing project manager)?

Or should I say he is fine and showing potential because it will make me look better?

Basically is it good to have medicore people on the team so your job is quite secure ???
                  Yes. Tell it how it is.

You'll find that people like that will manage to take the credit for the work that you did for him in the mistaken belief that you were doing him a favour.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Yes. Tell it how it is.

You'll find that people like that will manage to take the credit for the work that you did for him in the mistaken belief that you were doing him a favour.
                    I want to make sure I am clear

If he stays then I am pretty much guaranteed a job for a long time because before I go he will have to and I am heaps better

On the other hand if a really good developer joined then I might be bottom of the pile.

I am the lead developer by choice - It is not my job remit - I was asked to do it and accepted.

Comment

Working...
                    X