• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moves to stop 'vertical drinking'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moves to stop 'vertical drinking'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/8276345.stm

"So-called "vertical drinking" bars with cheap drink, limited seating and little food provision will be targeted. "

Those means most of the pubs in London will have to close.....

Cheap drink in London! Where?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Hmmm, surely that would make consuming any sort of drink a bit difficult?

I find it better to be vertical when I am drinking. If I am horizontal it is usually a sign that I should stop.

Back on topic, I see worrying signs that people pushing high levels of alcohol control are gaining the upper hand. Where I am the local council are proposing that restaurants and bars outside of five designated entertainment areas will be forced to close at 11pm.

Comment

I wish the bl**dy council would keep their mitts off. If people want these bars then these bars will survive. Leave people alone!

Comment

I'd be happy to have my ability to buy a drink restricted IF it meant you could walk through town on a Friday/Saturday night without having to avoid shouting idiots, and didn't have to listen to people two streets away when you want to sleep.

The general public clearly aren't able to act like adults and therefore need to be treated like children, told what they can and can't do. You can be outraged about personal freedoms, but why should one person have the right to drink 8 pints and wake up the whole street at 1am, or be sick on the pavement outside your house?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            I wish the bl**dy council would keep their mitts off. If people want these bars then these bars will survive. Leave people alone!
            It would be graet to be left alone but the problem is that a lot of peoples jobs rely on thinking up new ways of telling us what to do ...
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              It would be graet to be left alone but the problem is that a lot of peoples jobs rely on thinking up new ways of telling us what to do ...
              That's why I've left the country

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                That's why I've left the country
                That's a long way to go for a late drink
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I'd be happy to have my ability to buy a drink restricted IF it meant you could walk through town on a Friday/Saturday night without having to avoid shouting idiots, and didn't have to listen to people two streets away when you want to sleep.

The general public clearly aren't able to act like adults and therefore need to be treated like children, told what they can and can't do. You can be outraged about personal freedoms, but why should one person have the right to drink 8 pints and wake up the whole street at 1am, or be sick on the pavement outside your house?
                  It is not the pubs fault, nor is it my fault.
                  It is the fault of the individual concerned and a failing of whoever you would like to blame for the lack of proper policing of tese kinds of people.

This is another example of the nanny state interfering in our private freedoms.
                  Instead of a sweeping catc all policy the "system" should be targetting those who abuse it.
                  It is about time people were made responsible for their own actions and punished accordingly.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

WHS

Until a few years ago drinking until all hours didn't exist anyway.

I was one of the people who welcomed the new laws thinking that it wuld slow people's drinking over the course of the night and 'poo-pooed' the killjoys who said that drunkenness would simply continue over 24 hours.

I was wrong and the killjoys were right...
                    Last edited by cojak; 27 September 2009, 07:04.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X